Opening in firewall

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
I used to have 4ga power wire running from under the hood through the firewall. I had it running through the plastic "sleeve" through which other wires come into the passenger compartment. When I switched over to 0/1 this weekend, it opened the hole a bit more. There is more engine noise in the car now, especially when I get on the gas. Is there something I can use to tighten the air gaps around the 0/1 wire and clean up that opening in the firewall, all while reducing the noise creeping in through it?

Just wrap duct tape around the engin side of the firewall, stuff the whole with cottonballs and duct tape the inside of the firewall. Yeah I know, it's rigged, but it'll work. Or you can buy a new rubber sleeve which is a pain to install if it's a tight space.

Just wrap duct tape around the engin side of the firewall, stuff the whole with cottonballs and duct tape the inside of the firewall. Yeah I know, it's rigged, but it'll work. Or you can buy a new rubber sleeve which is a pain to install if it's a tight space.
A jury-rigged solutions, but it sounds like it might work. Thanks.

You can buy foam sealent in a can. You can get it at most hardware stores. It comes out like shaving cream, but hardens and it is a liquid so it can go in most small places.

I solved a great deal of the problem I was having. It helps when the sleeve is properly reintalled. I was messing with it just now at lunch, and some that the bottom of the sleeve was hanging out. Stuffed it back in and it has made a world of difference.

I think I will still pick up some silicone to tighten the seal around the 0/1 wire though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

HawaiianHaole

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
HawaiianHaole
Delaware
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date