One Brahma X Mk2 or Two Dayton Reference High Excursion Subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am in the market for a new 12" sub. I'm keeping my JL Audio 1500 watt amp. I've heard the Brahma and Dayton subs sound good, but I also want the loudest option. So would one Brahma hit as hard as two Dayton high excursion subs? The two would have more cone area, but the one Brahma is a superior sub. Anyone have any real world experience with these subs? I'm also open to other subs as well that would pair well with my amp, get loud, and sound good.

The new Brahma X is very similiar to my Tumult that i'm running. Even though it's only a single 12 it can get loud enough to rattle my brain (I have an upgrade alternator which helps tremendiously if you want higher output). My tumult with upgraded alternator is night and day louder then when I had 2x12s with stock alternator + AGM in my old car.

Two Daytons will probably get louder but once you reach the mid 140db range it doesn't really matter unless your competing. For example hitting 146db on a single 12 to me is more practical for a daily setup then squeezing 2x12 in your trunk and hitting 148db

You can’t go wrong with either. The Brahma has a little different sound though. It’s so smooth so it may not seem as loud due to the lower distortion. I’ve always been a big fan of single sub setups so that’s my vote 👍

Well, I’m impatient so I pulled the trigger on the 2 Daytons. I REALLY wanna hear the Brahma so I’ll probably get one when I catch it on sale just so I can hear them side by side.
The Daytons look sexy as hell to me too. I love the all black plain Jane look:

I think you made a great choice on the Daytons. For one ,, who in the audio industry can beat that 5 year warranty the subs come with??As well, they should get down pretty nicely and sound good doing it. Just dont skimp out on a well made tuned enclosure and made for the vehicle its going in, A cheesy sub can sound fantastic enough in the right enclosure.I am looking at picking up one of the new CT Sounds TROPO XL 12 myself, maybe even a pair to try out, That would have been another suggestion for you, but most Deff, cant go wrong with those Daytons IMO. Let us know how well they do for you/ pros and cons. What vehicle are you putting these in??You can maximize the output with the proper enclosure and be happy with theyre performance.

Well, I’m impatient so I pulled the trigger on the 2 Daytons. I REALLY wanna hear the Brahma so I’ll probably get one when I catch it on sale just so I can hear them side by side.
The Daytons look sexy as hell to me too. I love the all black plain Jane look:

I like these. Basket reminds me of my Lethal Injection, totally different magnet though.

I got my Brahma for 30% off I believe. It was around Thanksgiving/Christmas time I think. Dayton’s are so sexy. They remind me of the SoundSplinter look which I loved.

I got it directly from Adire. I just found my invoice. It was 25% off so I got it for $337.49 shipped and I ordered it 10/01/2020. I did find an email from 2019 where they had 30% off Brahmas.

I do see they went up in price for the Brahma (I assume the Brahma X jumped up too). The 12” was $449 and now is $499. They had the 30% off actually on Labor Day 2019 but no luck right now lol.

Last edited:
Every subwoofer went up for the most part. Parts are hard to come by and will be for awhile. With rare earths being harder and harder to come by that doesn't help with the magnet supplies one bit. Most of that stuff is dug up overseas because no one wants to dig for it here or they have shut down the mines already because of people complaining.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...