Old School vs. New School

Participant count
  • Participant list

CRANK-IT

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hello, I'm from the early to late 1990s car audio scene when it was all about the US made old school amps. I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are on the old school vs. new school amps? I was talking with an local installer and he was saying I'd be better off going with new school amplifiers (digital) as I have a newer car and there are so many reasons why in terms of over drawing power and engine noise with the old school amplifiers. Also the sound quality is now just as good as it was with the old school amps. I'm wondering what your thoughts on this would be? He recommended a Kenwood double din head unit with Rockford Fosgate digital amp and speakers and subs. Any thoughts? I don't want complications with my car and running down the battery or having to replace the alternator. Just trying to keep it simple and not have any troubles. Thanks in advance for your input!

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "more compact footprint"? Are you referring to they are a lot smaller than the old school amps?

Yes the modern amps are almost all class d circuitry which is more compact than the old ab class amps of the past.

Plus they finally got the transistor switching speed where it is outside the audible spectrum.

OTOH, has the electromagnetic interference issue been solved? Granted, I never experienced it, but for those who do, I was told it ******.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.