NSv3 or Team 15" for daily use on 6K

[quote name='dttimma']@hispls that was not me, found a nightshade for 850 new in D2 so I'll start with one at 1ohm then move to a pair at .5 once i can make them a home.. I guess we'll see if it lives.. thanks for the advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A pair is much safer.

[quote name='Loudz']Come on man stop being a retard. No I wouldn't buy him a recone... OP need to know is equipments limits and tune accordingly and no problems.[/QUOTE]

You're telling this guy it's OK to run double rated power and I'm the retard?

Suit yourself. I'm pretty sure Jacob rates the Nightshade 2500W for a reason, but you know better and of course OP knows better, that's why he created this thread to ask.

A pair is much safer.

You're telling this guy it's OK to run double rated power and I'm the retard?

Suit yourself. I'm pretty sure Jacob rates the Nightshade 2500W for a reason, but you know better and of course OP knows better, that's why he created this thread to ask.

Bro I run nsv3...what I said is we clamp over 3k daily to them. So I do know. I did not say they will take 5k clamped daily now did I? Jacob under rates his woofers. Everyone knows that. Your just trying to start shlt

Bro I run nsv3...what I said is we clamp over 3k daily to them. So I do know. I did not say they will take 5k clamped daily now did I? Jacob under rates his woofers. Everyone knows that. Your just trying to start shlt
He rates them honestly . Go make a video of you and your clamp meter throwing 3000W into one of them 50hz sine wave for 10 minutes and come back and let us know how that pans out for you.

Think that's unreasonable? Play 2 or 3 "songs" that people would use to bass race back to back full tilt. I can assure you I've used those coils and they will get hot and fail quickly with 3000W continuous power.

Not saying I wouldn't (or haven't) run a 6K amp into similar or smaller coiled subs, but odds are if OP needs to ask, he has no business trying to run more than rated power.

He rates them honestly . Go make a video of you and your clamp meter throwing 3000W into one of them 50hz sine wave for 10 minutes and come back and let us know how that pans out for you.
Think that's unreasonable? Play 2 or 3 "songs" that people would use to bass race back to back full tilt. I can assure you I've used those coils and they will get hot and fail quickly with 3000W continuous power.

Not saying I wouldn't (or haven't) run a 6K amp into similar or smaller coiled subs, but odds are if OP needs to ask, he has no business trying to run more than rated power.
Cuz we all roll around burping 50hz full tilt for 10mins. That might be one of the dumbest things u ever said.

Cuz we all roll around burping 50hz full tilt for 10mins. That might be one of the dumbest things u ever said.
I can and have listed half a dozen songs that have a bass line that is essentially a non-stop sine wave. Go to a competition and watch people bass race (or whatever they call 30 second "music" average in your local org) virtually every song they use would fit into this category.

In any event if you're not going to step up to the plate to warranty his 2500W sub at 6000W you shouldn't be throwing around that sort of advice. Or if you're so sure of yourself you'd put your money where your mouth is and warranty the sub for him.

Prototype I have is rated for 1.5kw. It will take that for 8 hours granted its cooling abilities aren't restricted. I abused it and the former bubbled but the coils where fine. That was with about 4kw clipped..

This one has a thicker annodized former probably rate it for 2000. On music with rise and more dynamic bass lines it will handle alot more but for those based heavy contunious songs if your giving a clean 3500(not nessicarlly clamped just a good 3500 watt amp) that's all I would personally put to it.. your asking for failures..

The sundown has a tad better cooling abilities but if still limited it to 4kw on music daily if you like bass heavy stuff..

I can and have listed half a dozen songs that have a bass line that is essentially a non-stop sine wave. Go to a competition and watch people bass race (or whatever they call 30 second "music" average in your local org) virtually every song they use would fit into this category.
In any event if you're not going to step up to the plate to warranty his 2500W sub at 6000W you shouldn't be throwing around that sort of advice. Or if you're so sure of yourself you'd put your money where your mouth is and warranty the sub for him.

Idk why Timma liked your post. Tha makes no sense from your last post. U said play 10mins of 50hz straight full tilt and now u say bass race 30seconds.... Huge difference right there... 30seconds is piece of cake. I've had my a crossfire 8k per pair of nsv3 and ran it .66ohm daily... Never once blew a woofer... Shlt I've had four SA 18s on a single crossfire 8k and never blew a woofer... Clean power is good, don't clip and you will be surprised at how much power a woofer can take... One day you will be there. Keep at it and don't give up hispl.

Idk why Timma liked your post. Tha makes no sense from your last post. U said play 10mins of 50hz straight full tilt and now u say bass race 30seconds.... Huge difference right there... 30seconds is piece of cake. I've had my a crossfire 8k per pair of nsv3 and ran it .66ohm daily... Never once blew a woofer... Shlt I've had four SA 18s on a single crossfire 8k and never blew a woofer... Clean power is good, don't clip and you will be surprised at how much power a woofer can take... One day you will be there. Keep at it and don't give up hispl.
You are just being purposefully obtuse now in attempt to save face. Let me clarify this:

1. There are plenty of songs that have a continuous sine wave for a bass line.

2. These are the songs that people use to bass race. Watch people bass race to see examples.

3. If you attempt to play 2 or 3 of these songs in a row you can and probably will break things.

Your "clean" power is nothing more than you are probably never seeing even 4KW out of your "8K" amp and that you are playing more dynamic music when you play "all day err' day". I'm sure you don't have an impedance chart for your Zv3s in box so you have no idea, and you absolutely have no way to predict what OP's will be nor what music he will try to play, nor how.

One day I'll be where? To the point where I forget what I've experienced myself and discussed with long time industry insiders? Put up or shut up. Show me the 10 minute 50hz sine wave with clamp meter or put it in writing that you'll warranty OP's sub when he breaks it.

You are just being purposefully obtuse now in attempt to save face. Let me clarify this:
1. There are plenty of songs that have a continuous sine wave for a bass line.

2. These are the songs that people use to bass race. Watch people bass race to see examples.

3. If you attempt to play 2 or 3 of these songs in a row you can and probably will break things.

Your "clean" power is nothing more than you are probably never seeing even 4KW out of your "8K" amp and that you are playing more dynamic music when you play "all day err' day". I'm sure you don't have an impedance chart for your Zv3s in box so you have no idea, and you absolutely have no way to predict what OP's will be nor what music he will try to play, nor how.

One day I'll be where? To the point where I forget what I've experienced myself and discussed with long time industry insiders? Put up or shut up. Show me the 10 minute 50hz sine wave with clamp meter or put it in writing that you'll warranty OP's sub when he breaks it.

I have nsv3. Not zv3s.... And now your really making digging yourself in a hole... The op has a saz 6k but yet u say that's too much power for a single woofer... But u say my 8k might do 4K on music.... So by your theory his 6k amp he should only see 3k.... See where I'm going.. U keep saying one thing and then another... First play 10mins burping 50hz for some reason, then it's Bassrace 30seconds and now your back to 10mins, make a video or buy recones blah blah blah... U are a special kind of tar tar.

Did the op say he wants to play 50hz sine wave for 10mins? NO!!!!

Did the op say he wants to Bassrace back to back to back for 10mins full tilt 50hz? NO

You are just making shlt up...set gains clean and The op will be fine... Just stop already and end this thread

I have nsv3. Not zv3s.... And now your really making digging yourself in a hole... The op has a saz 6k but yet u say that's too much power for a single woofer... But u say my 8k might do 4K on music.... So by your theory his 6k amp he should only see 3k.... See where I'm going.. U keep saying one thing and then another... First play 10mins burping 50hz for some reason, then it's Bassrace 30seconds and now your back to 10mins, make a video or buy recones blah blah blah... U are a special kind of tar tar.

Did the op say he wants to Bassrace back to back to back for 10mins full tilt 50hz? NO

You are just making shlt up...set gains clean and The op will be fine... Just stop already and end this thread
Are you still just playing dumb or do you really have no idea how impedance works?

I did not say that his 6K amp will only ever deliver 3K. If he runs at 1 ohm nominal it likely won't even give him that, but there is NO WAY for us to say without actually testing and there is no way to tell what his idea of "music".

If you haven't broken any subs it's not because Sundown is super ****** and can take double rated power, it's because you've never actually given them more than rated power for any length of time.

I had this discussion in person with Jacob at the old Sundown factory. His ratings are basically "indestructible at this power level" which he feels (as do I) is the only really honest rating method. Safe to run an amp rated double that, probably, but he won't warranty it (nor will you for all your word salad trying to justify your original bad advice) and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that doesn't know enough to have to ask the question.

I guess to answer OPs question, Id run a 3 inch coil @ 2ohm and take it easy. Then later if you want you can add a 2nd sub at a 1 ohm load. A lot of good 3 inch coils out there take 2k rms clamped which is around where youd be. And the NSv3 is a fine choice I think. No need to run Teams.

[quote name='Loudz']I have nsv3. Not zv3s.... And now your really making digging yourself in a hole... The op has a saz 6k but yet u say that's too much power for a single woofer... But u say my 8k might do 4K on music.... So by your theory his 6k amp he should only see 3k.... See where I'm going.. U keep saying one thing and then another... First play 10mins burping 50hz for some reason, then it's Bassrace 30seconds and now your back to 10mins, make a video or buy recones blah blah blah... U are a special kind of tar tar.

You are just making shlt up...set gains clean and The op will be fine... Just stop already and end this thread[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hispls']Are you still just playing dumb or do you really have no idea how impedance works?

I did not say that his 6K amp will only ever deliver 3K. If he runs at 1 ohm nominal it likely won't even give him that, but there is NO WAY for us to say without actually testing and there is no way to tell what his idea of "music".

If you haven't broken any subs it's not because Sundown is super ****** and can take double rated power, it's because you've never actually given them more than rated power for any length of time.

I had this discussion in person with Jacob at the old Sundown factory. His ratings are basically "indestructible at this power level" which he feels (as do I) is the only really honest rating method. Safe to run an amp rated double that, probably, but he won't warranty it (nor will you for all your word salad trying to justify your original bad advice) and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that doesn't know enough to have to ask the question.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='germanyt']I guess to answer OPs question, Id run a 3 inch coil @ 2ohm and take it easy. Then later if you want you can add a 2nd sub at a 1 ohm load. A lot of good 3 inch coils out there take 2k rms clamped which is around where youd be. And the NSv3 is a fine choice I think. No need to run Teams.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate everyone's input and knowledge on this thread. All said and done, if I break something it's my fault, re-coning isn't a big deal to me either. I'm responsible for the life span of my own equipment, noone else. I'm not going to lean on this thing hard but I'm gonna enjoy it. If I can find or design a box that'll give me enough displacement and enough room for all the other equipment I'll add a second nightshade and run the 6k at .5ohm on the pair.. but for now, a single woofer at 1ohm.. thanks to everyone especially @hispls and @Loudz you're both knowledgeable and helpful people, and I appreciate your input

any team (or 4 inch coil) sub made by fi lol if you have the money for a sundown team thats also a good choice or any of the 4 inch coil b2 subs

I guess to answer OPs question, Id run a 3 inch coil @ 2ohm and take it easy. Then later if you want you can add a 2nd sub at a 1 ohm load. A lot of good 3 inch coils out there take 2k rms clamped which is around where youd be. And the NSv3 is a fine choice I think. No need to run Teams.
This is sound advice.

so if im trying to clamp 3-4k per sub what subs would you recommend? 15"
Definitely one of the big boy "team" subs, DD-99, or similar. AFAIK most of the top dogs make a 4" coil that could more or less hang with that. DC, Ground Zero, B2, Fi, and Atomic should all have comparable offerings in that category.

Seems like OP gets the idea. Good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dttimma

dttimma
US
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
hispls