novice looking to upgrade subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
hello. my first post here.
I have a car I want to setup, it is a 1999 Toyota Avalon. it is all factory audio right now.
I currently own a Kenwood KAC 9106D sub amp. CEA 2006 rated 500W @ 4omh, 1000W @ 2ohm.
Current sub is Boston acoustics g5 10" in a sealed box at 4ohm (500 W)
I ran this setup in a Subaru Impreza for years.

I would like to step up the strength on the Toyota.

i am considering a Sundown SA 15.

I listen to lots of music. Rock, 90s rap, techno, reggae

My questions:
would my kenwood amp power the SA15 adequately? I would get the 4ohm dvc and run it at 2 ohm.

how much louder would music be on the SA15 vs my 10" G5?

I am thinking ported box but i know nothing about that. is there a difference between slot port and round port? Does it matter where I put the sub in the box (top mount vs side mount)?

The truck is fairly large. I have around 15" of height, up to 45" width and 30" depth to use for a box. The trunk is larger than those dimensions.

Last edited:
hello. my first post here.
I have a car I want to setup, it is a 1999 Toyota Avalon. it is all factory audio right now.
I currently own a Kenwood KAC 9106D sub amp. CEA 2006 rated 500W @ 4omh, 1000W @ 2ohm.
Current sub is Boston acoustics g5 10" in a sealed box at 4ohm (500 W)
I ran this setup in a Subaru Impreza for years.

I would like to step up the strength on the Toyota.

i am considering a Sundown SA 15.

I listen to lots of music. Rock, 90s rap, techno, reggae

My questions:
would my kenwood amp power the SA15 adequately? I would get the 4ohm dvc and run it at 2 ohm.

how much louder would music be on the SA15 vs my 10" G5?

I am thinking ported box but i know nothing about that. is there a difference between slot port and round port? Does it matter where I put the sub in the box (top mount vs side mount)?

The truck is fairly large. I have around 15" of height, up to 45" width and 30" depth. I want the trunk to have space after sub box is installed.
1st thing on your list should be an aftermarket head unit with 4 volts pre-out, 13 band eq, time alignment etc... if you havent gotten one yet.

Ported box 100% Round aeroports are more efficient than slot ports. Your kenwood would power the sundown fine. Build your own box, nothing you buy on amazon or ebay is worth a damn.

considering you are going from a 10 sealed to a 15 ported, you should notice some crazy improvements as in your system might actually get loud if you design the box right.

15 needs too much space If you want space leftover. If you get a d4 sa that amp at 1000 watts should be enough, more would be better but anymore power and electrical upgrade will be necessary. I’d advise a single 12 ported for a new upgrade. Alternatively, fins another 10” g5 on eBay and put the pair in a ported enclosure. Two d4 G5’s will wire to 2 ohm

aftermarket hu should be first priority if you don’t already have one

I have a head unit from my Subaru, can't remember brand but it has 4v RCAs. I would probably put that in the Toyota. I believe I can build my own box and would enjoy doing so.

The dimensions I posted above are totally for possible box size. The trunk is larger than that.

The dimensions I posted above are totally for possible box size. The trunk is larger than that.
You should be able to get a single 15" in your trunk fine, and the SA series perform well. Yes you will want dual 4 ohm and while round port is more efficient than another shape it may be impractical to fit one in the box which is why a lot of people use slot/rectangular.

If you take some care in box design and construction you should be pretty happy with how it performs for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.