Notice !

same issue here.

my processor cooling FAN wasnt working, when it gets over heated it does that.

actually if its in WINDOWS, it restarts, and then doesnt work, after cooling it does,

i usually take OFF the main plug so no electricity enter the PC. half an hour, everything is set.

Sorry jmac, I wasn't thinking. I would try unplugging everything like outlaw said, maybe something in static memory is causing a loop effect. If so, the memory will clear itself in a few minutes, then you might buy yourself enough time to run in safe mode and do a restore.

Hey JMAC, have yu tried pulling the jumper and reseting your BIOS yet...I had the same issues when i first built my PC and after a few crashes I found out that the jumper trick does it for me everytime...(doesn't happen anymore, go figure).

random reboots before windows most often says heat problem. check your CPU fan and power supply fan. also try going into BIOS under PC Health *or something similar* and checking temperatures.

if that doesnt work id lean towards a power supply, or memory. all assuming it does this even before windows loads from the hard drive. the hard drive starts spinning *for i/o* when windows begins to load after POST

good luck with that jmac...i still havn't got mine running yet. i got my new motherboard and cpu in thursday, and i'm still waiting for my video card to get here so i can turn this dam n thing on, and format everything. YEAH!!!! stupid computers!

i think there was a virus that does that. about 30 seconds after you log into windows XP/2000, it reboots.... hmm... hope that is not what you have though. anyhow, good luck.

constant restarting of a computer is 1 sign of an over heating problem. as maniac said, look into a new power supply. make sure it fits the size of the computer. we had computers at work do that and we just replaced the power supply and boom, good as gold. hope that helps. you may want to look into getting a new fan also. peace.

Get the machine down to its barest configuration. Single memory chip, processor, video, disk. Disconnect all other devices. See if it boots to windows. If not, try to boot on a floppy. If you can boot from a floppy and the machine continues to run, heat is probably not the issue. If you can't boot from the floppy, heat/power supply is a possibility. Although a boot sector type virus is possible as well. If the data is that important and you don't have a second hard drive to play with, bring it in for service.

or just flop the harddrive into another computer as the master, see if it boots into windows, and you know its a sotfware issue.

its not easy to get back files that have been saved on a windows partition (saftey feature)

my suggestion, get everything you can from your hard disk, format and partition the harddisk, or even better, buy another one... and keep ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA on the second disk (D:\) that does NOT have windows on it.

then if your windows partition ****s up again, format the bugger with no problems- and resinstall.

thats how ive got it, and its saved my life plenty of times.

There is a virus going around that effects the master boot up files for all windows based softwear. The problem is it eats the EXEC files and does not allow XP to toally boot up. If it is not the power supply/overheating problem I would first slave your HD into another comp. Update the virus scanner and then scan your entire HD. Copy all your files and then reload your windows. I had the same problem and that was the only fix for the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

swimfreak26

10+ year member
I am cool
swimfreak26
East Lansing, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date