Northstar 220 vs Limitless 15ah

Participant count
  • Participant list

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Stepping up the electrical in the Daily talking to brand x about getting a alt built, but I cannot decide if I wanna make the leap to lithium. I have a Duracell agm main batt and I hear the limitless will work with agm batteries whereas most lithium setups you are not really suppose to mix. Alternative I would be looking into a northstar 220 agm.

Anyone that is actually still into car audio on here want to weigh in?

The only reason I've stuck with my Sms220 is I spent the money once and at the time I was on the fence about lithium.
My voltage DOES dip but only when at decently high levels... heck... with a 250A ces and around 200ah AGM presently I'm consistently over 150db and have gotten a 152.43db out of it so far.
If I had to do it again I'd probably Diy 40ah of Yinlong... and it looks like it would even take up less space if done like this.

Making the bars and charging/balancing the thing looks pretty easy to me and they say it'll start the car and support 4K much better than my current setup. I'm actually saving for some atm... oh well... eventually I'll have a Sms220 up for sale with bussbars, unless I chop up the bars for the Yinlong... lol
I'll probably leave the AGM up front disconnected for backup in case something happens.

The other expense with lithium is you have to invest in a decently pricey charger to top them off periodically
To me that's small potatoes for the performance I'm likely to get. 14v+ and crazy ability to deliver that for awhile is the upside I've heard.
Heck... I constantly tinker with my system anyways... topping the things off would just give me an excuse to spend more time playing around.

I'm slowly warming up to lithium, been eye balling this company:

Not sure if those can be combined with agm but the price/quality seem right.

Headway seems to be the budget cells and what people combine with AGM successfully but at lower voltages I've read.
I'm pretty set on going with 40ah Yinlong for my application.
I'm no authority but at least that's what I'm understanding from what I've read.

Link it or it didn’t happen. Limitless says noco chargers will void the warranty

I'm talking about for building your own bank of Yinlongs. I wouldn't pay limitless prices. Pretty much just a fancy case IMO.

I'm talking about for building your own bank of Yinlongs. I wouldn't pay limitless prices. Pretty much just a fancy case IMO.

I ain’t got time to be cobbling together some straight from China dingalings for me limitless is a better option

15ah of lithium is tiny. Unless you're talking about <100a loads you're going to absolutely destroy it. It may be able to handle a 20c discharge but a 1c charge is 15a. I would never go above a 3c charge so unless you're charging at 45a, no. Just no. It's stupid that they even cell 15ah batteries.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.