No sound when speakers are connected to amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Datring2000

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dallas
So far the way i have my sound system set up is my head unit, a pioneer deh-x4800bt, replacing the original OEM receiver from a Pontiac G5 GT 2008 with aftermarket speakers connected to the AM receiver. Note: the car had a factory amp that I removed in case that has anything to do with the issue. I tried wiring the aftermarket receiver to the original OEM’s wires but no sound would come out of the speakers, however the aftermarket stereo would still power on. Then, I connected the speakers wires from the factory amplifier to the pioneer receiver. However, no sound just power. So instead I decided to hardwire the corresponding wires from the aftermarket receiver to each individual speaker’s negative and positive in the vehicle rather than the wires from the original stereo’s harness and from the factory amp. I was successful in getting sound hooray but here comes my next problem. The installing of my aftermarket amplifier. Let me give some background info: the amp is a Pioneer Gm-6400f 4 channel with 600 hertz. I’m on a budget but also brand matching.I got the amp for 50 bucks on offerup , was told it works and I took the guys word for it. The amp powers on and seems to work fine. But the problem begins with me trying to add the amp to my system and getting no sound when I connect one speaker to it. First off, I have the amp set up with a 50A fuse block, 8 gauge wire, battery in the truck, amp mounted behind a seat, amp turn on wire attached to a fuse in my car’s fuse box, device is grounded, and proper 16gauge speaker wire for the channels. The amp turns on when I power the vehicle which must be a good sign. To my understanding, the way an amp can be added to an AM system is by connecting the Amp’s RCA’s to the AM receivers outputs and wiring your speakers directly to the amps channels? I tried amplifying one speaker to a channel to see if it would work but what happened instead was no sound from ALL speakers was the outcome. When I disconnect the wire from the amp to the single affected speaker, the speakers all regain sound except the disconnected speaker. Again, car has a factory amp but I managed to bypass by wiring the speakers directly to the Aftermarket receiver. How do I go about wiring my amp with the receiver and speakers without losing my sound?

It’s Friday night. We gettin lit. Try again Sunday and make cliff notes cause that was a whole book.

A book with lots of detail but I’ll dumb it down for ya and whoever else that doesn’t have 10 minutes to spare

Speakers are connected directly to the aftermarket receiver. I’m trying to add an aftermarket amplifier. I did so by setting it up with proper 8 gauge kit. After, I tried amplifying one speaker from the receiver to test it. I connected my RCA to the receiver and rewired my speaker wire from the receiver to the amp. My other speakers were still producing sound Even after disconnecting the test speaker. My question is, why are my speakers losing complete sound after wiring a single speaker from the aftermarket receiver to the amp.

A book with lots of detail but I’ll dumb it down for ya and whoever else that doesn’t have 10 minutes to spare

Speakers are connected directly to the aftermarket receiver. I’m trying to add an aftermarket amplifier. I did so by setting it up with proper 8 gauge kit. After, I tried amplifying one speaker from the receiver to test it. I connected my RCA to the receiver and rewired my speaker wire from the receiver to the amp. My other speakers were still producing sound Even after disconnecting the test speaker. My question is, why are my speakers losing complete sound after wiring a single speaker from the aftermarket receiver to the amp.
Ok, to recap 1. Your speakers are wired directly to your radio 2. You ran rcas from radio output to amplifier input 3. You connected one door speaker to the amp while others remained connected to the radio. 4. Upon amplification of single speaker, others went dead. Is that correct?

I am curious how you have your aftermarket radio hooked up. Did that G5 GT come with a Monsoon factory stereo system? I am 100% positive that car, like my G6 GT, has retained accessory power. Meaning the windows, radio, moonroof, if it has one, will continue to have power up to 10 minutes after the car is shut off or until the drivers door is opened.

Listen... go to this website -Click Me- put in your vehicle information and look at the options. Better yet, do like I did and call them and tell them EXACTLY what your car is and what you want to install, they will tell you what you need. I did it and my G6 functions perfectly with my aftermarket radio, DSP, two amplifiers and aftermarkets speakers.

I actually had to make this harness to make the aftermarket head unit function properly.

Attachments

• Temp-Radio.jpg
    Temp-Radio.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Ok, to recap 1. Your speakers are wired directly to your radio 2. You ran rcas from radio output to amplifier input 3. You connected one door speaker to the amp while others remained connected to the radio. 4. Upon amplification of single speaker, others went dead. Is that correct?
Exactly. And I recieved no amplification to the affected speaker too.

I am curious how you have your aftermarket radio hooked up. Did that G5 GT come with a Monsoon factory stereo system? I am 100% positive that car, like my G6 GT, has retained accessory power. Meaning the windows, radio, moonroof, if it has one, will continue to have power up to 10 minutes after the car is shut off or until the drivers door is opened.

Listen... go to this website -Click Me- put in your vehicle information and look at the options. Better yet, do like I did and call them and tell them EXACTLY what your car is and what you want to install, they will tell you what you need. I did it and my G6 functions perfectly with my aftermarket radio, DSP, two amplifiers and aftermarkets speakers.

I actually had to make this harness to make the aftermarket head unit function properly.
My G5 is actually the pioneer sound system package which is why I’m going for all pioneer for my entertainment system. I just cut the factory harness wire from the G5’s OEM’s original wiring and connected Power, Ground, and the memory constant to the aftermarket head unit’s wiring. That got the radio turned on and going. After doing so, I wired my speakers directly to the head unit since I wouldn’t get sound from wiring it directly to the original OEM’s. Only downside is I lose my chimes and steering wheel buttons. However, I’ll be sure to get a harness next time for my next vehicle , I don’t really care too much for the Pontiac’s wiring.

Exactly. And I recieved no amplification to the affected speaker too.
This attachment caught my attention. It is from the manual for your radio and has to do with initial setup. It states that to use rear rcas as a full channel you must select Rear/Rear. I do not know if choosing the wrong option would cause your issue.
What I would do is use an 3.5mm to rca adapter from the phone to the amp. Then connect that speaker to see if amp is working properly. If it is, I would disconnect all speakers from the radio and rewire straight to the amp.

This attachment caught my attention. It is from the manual for your radio and has to do with initial setup. It states that to use rear rcas as a full channel you must select Rear/Rear. I do not know if choosing the wrong option would cause your issue.
What I would do is use an 3.5mm to rca adapter from the phone to the amp. Then connect that speaker to see if amp is working properly. If it is, I would disconnect all speakers from the radio and rewire straight to the amp.
The advice about the rear-Rear setting was spot on! The speaker was producing sound after being wired to the amp and the RCA cables were hooked up to proper rear head unit connections. Only issue I’m having now is only one speaker is functioning when two are connected to the same channel. I probably have the wires wrong. But really thanks for your help , it was spectacular! You provided good results.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.