No sound except when starting or stopping engine!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Votumamor

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sounds bizarre but its true! Newly installed HU powers on and works, but no sound from the speakers except for a half second when starting the engine OR upon turning ignition off. The stock HU behaved the exact same way ever since I bought the vehicle a year ago.

2000 GMC Safari. HU had a cassette and CD player was a separate unit. I believe there is an external amplifier in front of left wheel well. The new HU is a cheapo chinesium double din.

I'm handy. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sounds bizarre but its true! Newly installed HU powers on and works, but no sound from the speakers except for a half second when starting the engine OR upon turning ignition off. The stock HU behaved the exact same way ever since I bought the vehicle a year ago.

2000 GMC Safari. HU had a cassette and CD player was a separate unit. I believe there is an external amplifier in front of left wheel well. The new HU is a cheapo chinesium double din.

I'm handy. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Get it professionally installed and move on.

Can you wire an external speaker directly to the radio? If it works in any ignition mode, I would say the OEM amp is the issue, or it's power remote. Maybe speakers are shorted and cause the amp to go into protect.

That's a good idea, thanks bud! Why didn't I think of that? I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Can you wire an external speaker directly to the radio? If it works in any ignition mode, I would say the OEM amp is the issue, or it's power remote. Maybe speakers are shorted and cause the amp to go into protect.

I wired a new speaker directly to the radio and it behaved the exact same way. Only 1 second of sound upon start up and turning ignition off.

Is this pointing towards a shorted speaker or wire?

Is this pointing towards a shorted speaker or wire?
Did you disconnect all other speakers for the test? Since the speaker is new and wired direct to the radio's speaker output, it should not be the issue. Since the OEM radio did the same, I now suspect a power/ground issue. Ground the radio chassis to metal on the car and test. If issue persists, rewire the power direct to the battery and test.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...