Newbie Radio and Subwoofer install

Participant count
  • Participants list

Tomanomanom

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, guys!
Hope everyone’s well. I’ve recently brought a caddy (2007) (just for a work van). Radio needs abit of an update. Therefore I’ve decided to upgrade and add a potential subwoofer. Now I’m very green at all this and was looking for some pointers so that I don’t destroy anything!

Radio:
On the aftermarket speaker harness, it comes with an orange wire (illumination) and a red wire (ignition) both free with a connectors on the end of them (pic). Do these have a specific place or are the subject to requirements?

Subwoofer:
First question is can I splice on the subs system remote control to the radios one? (The radio has a free cable that I could join on to) (pic 3)

Now power chord, from the sub it has two 18 awg chords merged into one, will i have to connect a lower gauge wire to pick up the slack and join that on to the battery?

Sorry to write a mini novel but I will definitely appreciate any thoughts and tips to these overcome these issues!
Cheers!

P.s sorry about shoddy photos, phone’s camera is filled up with sawdust.
Specs:
Caddy 2007
Aftermarket radio: pioneer DMH-A240BT
Subwoofer: kenwood ksc-sw11

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 18
Ignition wire goes to your amplifier to have it turn on and off with the key.
Illumination wire can be capped off (I've never had a use for it)

I'm pretty sure your remote wire has an ethernet end on it, so you wouldnt be able to tie it into the radio's volume control. The sub shouldve come with a bass/gain knob.

Last edited:
Ignition wire goes to your amplifier to have it turn on and off with the key.
Illumination wire can be capped off (I've never had a use for it)

I'm pretty sure your remote wire has an ethernet end on it, so you wouldnt be able to tie it into the radio's volume control. The sub shouldve come with a bass/gain knob.
NO, NO, and NO.

The ignition wire on the radio harness goes to your vehicle's ignition. It should connect through the vehicle's harness.

The orange illumination wire is so that you can control the brightness of the head unit display, with the adjustable brightness of the gauges. If you have it in your harness, then connect it. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

The remote wire / blue with white stripe is a signal wire for the amplifier. It is just a switch, on/off so that the amp turns off when the head unit turns off.

as for the amps power cables, It could be wrapped from the factory for shipping. Can you take a picture of that?

NO, NO, and NO.

The ignition wire on the radio harness goes to your vehicle's ignition. It should connect through the vehicle's harness.

The orange illumination wire is so that you can control the brightness of the head unit display, with the adjustable brightness of the gauges. If you have it in your harness, then connect it. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

The remote wire / blue with white stripe is a signal wire for the amplifier. It is just a switch, on/off so that the amp turns off when the head unit turns off.

as for the amps power cables, It could be wrapped from the factory for shipping. Can you take a picture of that?
I just said the ignition wire allows your amp to turn on and off with key. its common sense that its tied into the vehicles ignition. I didnt notice his amp doesnt have the actual screw in ignition wire, and that its apart of a harness.

Illumination wire - ill admit, ive never used it and wasnt sure what it was for, just knew it didnt affect your audio quality.

Remote wire, look at the amp he mentioned, it has a ethernet port on the rear labeled "Remote". I have a habit of calling the actual blue remote wire an ignition wire because it allows your device to power up upon ignition. please calm down

Last edited:
I just said the ignition wire allows your amp to turn on and off with key. its common sense that its tied into the vehicles ignition. I didnt notice his amp doesnt have the actual screw in ignition wire, and that its apart of a harness.

Illumination wire - ill admit, ive never used it and wasnt sure what it was for, just knew it didnt affect your audio quality.

Remote wire, look at the amp he mentioned, it has a ethernet port on the rear labeled "Remote". I have a habit of calling the actual blue remote wire an ignition wire because it allows your device to power up upon ignition. please calm down
Stop

Your'e wrong

No.

That's a remote not a remote wire.

I'm good, you're sensitive.

wow youre a real piece of work ya know that? Id prefer acting like an adult
OK KID, I'll spell it out for you. You were completely wrong in what you said. I gave the OP the answers THEY NEED, not you. This is THERE THREAD, not yours. I have now said twice why are you wrong, and for some reason, you think you are entitled to some lengthy conversation or explanation why, and then when I don't care to waste time correcting you, FOR YOU, you get all hissy about it, and want to childishly name call while saying you are the adult, (you're really clever). Get over yourself.

OK KID, I'll spell it out for you. You were completely wrong in what you said. I gave the OP the answers THEY NEED, not you. This is THERE THREAD, not yours. I have now said twice why are you wrong, and for some reason, you think you are entitled to some lengthy conversation or explanation why, and then when I don't care to waste time correcting you, FOR YOU, you get all hissy about it, and want to childishly name call while saying you are the adult, (you're really clever). Get over yourself.
a REAL piece of work WOW

NO, NO, and NO.

Thanks for the reply and info! So just to clarify I could splice in to the remote control cable on the radio?
I’m not able to get pictures I’m afraid as I’m at work, but the cable just plugs in to the back of the unit. The power cables didn’t come with any wrapping, just a bullet connection on the end (pictured) I just thought it was weird having two cables going in to one?
Cheers.

I just said the ignition wire allows your amp to turn on and off with key. it’s common sense that it’s tied into the vehicles ignition. I didnt notice his amp doesnt have the actual screw in ignition wire, and that its apart of a harness.

Thanks for the advice man! Much appreciated

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice man! Much appreciated
No problem, I thought you were asking if you could get your remote bass/gain knob spliced into the head unit to control it from there😂 as you see, some people take this very seriously.

If you need any help, feel free to DM. I’m not an expert, but I’ve down 2 or 3 simple system installs, so I can point you in the right direction.

That blue wire with the "remote control" sticker on it:

It's NOT a remote control wire.
10191.jpg

Its a remote... control wire. Its a switch that turns the amp on if the head unit is on. That wire on the head unit will be, Blue with a white stripe (almost always), and will be called either: a remote, remote turn on, amplifier turn on wire. It will connect between the power and ground on the amp. Don't splice into it. You might need to lengthen it to reach.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...