Newbie Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

kevincali

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I have gone through now 4 sets of 6x9 speakers which means I must be doing something wrong and should have asked for help a LONG time ago. What I have is a Kenwood Marine deck on my Harley and 2 400 watt amps, I bridged the amp for the front 6.5" speakers and did the same in the back with another 400 watt amp. However I continuously blow either one or both of the 6x9's in the back. My question is I know with the amp being bridged I am pushing 200watts to each speaker do I need to make sure the speakers can handle 200Watt RMS? I'm not sure what RMS means or stands for but it is a term I have been seeing over and over again while I look for replacement speakers.

That amp does 90 watts rms x 2 bridged. I think you have the gain set too high and clipped your speakers to death.

Look into a speaker with a higher sensitivity and lower power handling.

I second the Polk speaker suggestion, check into the Polk MM 692. Marine rated 94 db sensitivity. They are rated to take way more power than your amp can send them, but from what I've heard they can get pretty loud even on lower power. Also make sure your gains aren't set to high as was mentioned before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.