newbie needs a system

Participant count
  • Participants list

dans21

NY
Ok, here's the deal. I've done installs of replacing factory systems but never anything more custom. I have an '88 VW Scirocco that sadly takes 6.5" front and back speakers. 2 in the front doors, 2 on the rear shelf. I have about $500 to spend and I'm looking for a good clean system that has some power behind it. I'm not looking to knock down old ladies on the sidewalk as I drive by, just something with a little more kick than replacing the standard factory speakers.

My bad, they're 4x6" front and back speakers, but I was right about the location at least

Firstly- Welcome to the Forum!!

We look forward to abusing you here! he he he!

Now, concerning your question,

Rear speakers- pull them or leave them alone- they will not contribute to an overall balanced and effective soundstage.

On to the door speakers- I really liked the 6.5" idea there quite a bit better- however this would likely involve modifying the door panel and sheet metal to accomodate the 6.5" model. Also clearance issues may arise if the speaker basket is too large.

The better option would be to bite down and begin some custom work on a set of kick pannels to house a 6.5" component set. When speakers are placed in the kicks, the distance between the speakers and your ears is more even, thus producing better imaging and soundstage. Kick pannels are a bear to work with, and require a lot of time to get them just right.

Take a look HEREfor some information about building the kicks/fiberglass enclosures; to see if this is something that you are ready to tackle yourself.

Take it easy,

-zane

Good news! After taking another look at the car, the front speakers are Boston Acoustics 6.5"! Also, there is a seperate tweeter mounted above the first speaker, also Boston. (I don't know which model though or how they sound as I just bought the car and the deck needs replacing) The back speakers appear to be stock though. I don't know if you've seen a Scirocco by the way, but they are a hatchback/coupe design with the trunk directly behind the backseat. There are kind of built in shelves running the length of trunk. This is where the back speakers are. Unfortunately, the shelves are only big enough for the 4x6's though it wouldn't be tough to widen them a bit for, say, 6x8's which I currently have a pair of in my other car. (They're Kenwood Xelons or something with an 'X'). So, any advice based on this new info?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.