New Headunit, Audio Tearing + No Rear Sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

vegang

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone first post here, I was replacing the headunit in my Jaguar 2003 X-type no nav and purchased a sony unit. I had power problems with that unit because it had some crazy built in amp(hi-power) so I decided to go with a JVC KW-R940BTS. I wired everything correctly and tried it out and when it reaches a mere 14 volume it starts distorting and tearing awfully. I tested the fade out because my rears are factory and my fronts are Pioneer TS-A1670F 6.5" and what I found is the rears don't play any volume even when at full fade. Also when the fronts are at full fade the distortion actually happens LATER at 25 volume, its super weird. Also another note is when I had my sony unit the rears worked fine and could get louder than where this is happening now. JVC support didn't help at all and I am positive my wiring is correct. I even shook some of the wires while playing sound and couldn't find a loose connection. Please help there is no info anywhere!!!

Hello everyone first post here, I was replacing the headunit in my Jaguar 2003 X-type no nav and purchased a sony unit. I had power problems with that unit because it had some crazy built in amp(hi-power) so I decided to go with a JVC KW-R940BTS. I wired everything correctly and tried it out and when it reaches a mere 14 volume it starts distorting and tearing awfully. I tested the fade out because my rears are factory and my fronts are Pioneer TS-A1670F 6.5" and what I found is the rears don't play any volume even when at full fade. Also when the fronts are at full fade the distortion actually happens LATER at 25 volume, its super weird. Also another note is when I had my sony unit the rears worked fine and could get louder than where this is happening now. JVC support didn't help at all and I am positive my wiring is correct. I even shook some of the wires while playing sound and couldn't find a loose connection. Please help there is no info anywhere!!!

This is just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like you may have incorrect resistance on the rear speakers. In other words at least one of them or both are shorted and that is stressing the weak internal sony amp when you include the rear speakers. It's a pain, but you should check the resistance between the terminals on each of the rear speakers. They should be 4 ohms impedence, which will read between about 2.5 and 3.2 ohms on a regular multimeter/voltmeter.

Another thing that could have happened is a polarity switch, if they're canceling each other out it will play, but it'll be extremely weak, almost inaudible. The nice thing about speaker wiring from the back of the head unit is that you can confirm the wire colors directly by looking at the speaker terminals themselves and you don't need to rely on any website with questionable data.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.