New Head Unit in Hyundai with stock amp...problems

Participant count
  • Participants list

Alexjordan 22

CarAudio.com Newbie
CA
Hi everyone, my wife drives a 2007 Hyundai Entourage Limited with the "premium" Infinity sound system. The van comes with 4 speakers, twoin the front doors and two near the back seat, a tweeter on each A-pilliar, a speaker in the center of the dash, a speaker in the center of the roof, and a factory subwoofer in the rear.

I had an Alpine head unit installed ILX-W650 because my wife wanted Bluetooth and a backup camera. Now, when we turn on the radio we have a "hissing" or a static noise coming through, and the volume is way too loud. The installer says it's because the head unit has an internal amp and the van has its factory amp, so it's getting ampd twice causing this.

I'm not sure what to do, do I bypass the factory amp and install a power pack (which would probably lose my center channel and sub), or can I run everything off of the 6-channel preamp outputs from my new deck and just run everything through the factory amp as it was?

If anyone has some ideas as to how I can get rid of the static noise (it sounds like when your phone is hooked to a speaker with an aux cord and is turned up all the way) and make this thing work like we want it to that would help a lot. I don't mind spending some money to fix this but obviously I'm not looking to spend a whole lot given its a 12 year old Hyundai van.

I'm no expert on Hyundai or their Infinity systems so please take this advice with a grain of salt.

I would ask the installer to fix it or get your money back. The installer should've never taken on this job without telling you what you were getting into. When trying to integrate into a factory system the installer MUST take these kinds of things into account.

This is a very specific use case so I'm not sure how much advice anyone here can give (unless someone has specifically dealt with Hyundai/Infinity systems before). I did some searching over on the hyundai forum and from what I can tell, the factory amp uses low level inputs from the factory HU and then sends everything amplified out to the speakers. Unfortunately your new head unit only provides this low level output via preamp, and your factory amp doesn't have any preamp inputs.

There is no 'easy' way of doing this without yanking the factory amplifier and wiring in your own using the preamps from the new HU. You'll probably need to find a 6-Channel, 2 Ohm stable per channel amp and an additional amp for the subwoofer. There may be other options, like I said at the beginning, I'm not an expert but that is where I would start.

Check here and peruse, maybe you can find something useful:

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go back on Tuesday and explain how unhappy my wife and I are. We agree that we should have at least been warned about this being a potential problem. When I called a day or two ago they suggested that they can bypass the amp and install the small brick amp for ~ $350 but I'm hesitant to pay them that much since the power pack amp is so easy to install I can do that myself. Maybe I'll just have them bypass the amp and then do whatever else I may want to do myself.

Shame, too. I rarely let people work on my cars (cause I'm cheap) and I did not expect to have any issues after the install. The shop I went to has great reviews and has been in business for a long time. Hopefully they can work with me on getting this resolved.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go back on Tuesday and explain how unhappy my wife and I are. We agree that we should have at least been warned about this being a potential problem. When I called a day or two ago they suggested that they can bypass the amp and install the small brick amp for ~ $350 but I'm hesitant to pay them that much since the power pack amp is so easy to install I can do that myself. Maybe I'll just have them bypass the amp and then do whatever else I may want to do myself.

Shame, too. I rarely let people work on my cars (cause I'm cheap) and I did not expect to have any issues after the install. The shop I went to has great reviews and has been in business for a long time. Hopefully they can work with me on getting this resolved.

I would be hesitant as well, if they're a good shop they'll hopefully take care of you. If not hit 'em on Yelp over it and use the Hyundai forums along with here to fix it yourself.

Hissing and static sound like an install issue. Loud volume may be due to the 4v pre amp outputs, assuming they used the pre-amp outputs vs the speaker outputs.

Correction: after a lot of reading, I think there's a good chance my truck does have a factory amp installed. Could an aftermarket head unit (but no aftermarket amp) plus a mystery factory amp create hiss?

I don't think I have an install issue. I have both the constant hot and ground going straight to the battery in order to remove those variables. I had already soldered and shrink wrapped all connections. And my old Alpine single-din unit plugs into the same wiring and that radio does not have a hiss.

I would call the noise uniform hissing, not really rough sounding static.

I have hissing if the car is running or not running. I have hissing when there is no sound source selected as well as if there is. At about 2/3 towards the maximum volume, the hissing gets very loud. Before that, it stays at about the same level.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...