New guy needing a bit of advice on Sub woofers.

Dragonsyph

CarAudio.com Regular
Hello, i am new to the site and would like to say hello. 

I am in the market for a new subwoofer for my Mitsubishi SUV.  I was planning on buying a T2500-1bdCP.   So around 2500 watts RMS.

I have looked over many reviews and guides based on what kind of sub i would need, there are so many options that frankly confused me. 

Price does not really matter, but of course would like not to overpay for performance.  

I was thinking a single 18" sub would be great, but again im not sure what im looking for in terms of how good they are.

Are SMD 18" v2 subs any good?  Alot of the videos i watched, people seem to have alot of the SMD subs.  

What about JL audios 13.5" sub ?

Im looking to spend around 3000 totally for sub + amp.  So if you can point me down the right path on what is the BEST i can get for about 3k i would be most thankful. 

And is T2500-1bdCP even worth getting?  Its like what 8 years old?  Why is that 2500 watt amp cost x5 more then others? 

Last edited by a moderator:
"Best" is subjective... you'll get better help listing your goals on this forum... a straight VS thread is what it'll turn into... lol

Well if i buy a 2500 rms amp,  im wanting to get a 2500 rms sub right?   And is one 18 better then two 15s? or two 12s?  
That Rockford Power series amp is rock solid and way under-rated, it should make over 3K consistently on solid electrical system.  The reason it's expensive is that it's proprietary engineering as opposed to just cookie cutter off-the-shelf board.   Mind you, the off-the-shelf options these days are pretty solid but RF can certainly justify the price with the engineering and quality of their amps.  If you've got he money for nice stuff their amps won't let you down.

I'd personally prefer a pair of 15's over a single 18 on that much power, whatever anybody tells you about their "4000W" woofer, that's not going to be entirely honest.  You might be fine with a single top tier 4" coil woofer but any 2 3" 4 layer coil woofers will hang with that heat long term far better.

Since you seem to have money and like nice things, look into DD subs 95 or 99 series are solid options designed and built in house at DD.  Fi also makes top quality subs in-house but there's typically 4-6 week build time so if you're impatient that may not be practical.   Those are your top choices in my estimation.  There's plenty of other options though.

Lastly let me ask what electrical upgrades you have done or plan to do?   Is that separate to your budget you mentioned or included?   You will NOT want to run that amp or any legit 3K amp without  probably 600-1000$ worth of electrical upgrades.

Ill check out those DD options you mention,  from other research i been doing i come across this option.  

Sundown audio ZV5 SERIES 18"

And a SAE-2000D, or the RF 2500 i want. 

Ill check out those DD options you mention,  from other research i been doing i come across this option.  

Sundown audio ZV5 SERIES 18"

And a SAE-2000D, or the RF 2500 i want. 
Sundown makes solid subs still, though I really don't feel they justify their MSRP these days.  Their amps definitely aren't worth the money and the Rockford Power 2500 would be more comparable to 3K to 3500W Sundown as far as real world power you could expect to see out of it.  The Sundown amps are pretty much still off-the-shelf Korean fare and you can get comparable amps under a dozen other brand names, DD for one; and for the sake of aesthetics if you opted to get into their subs.  

IF you opt for a single Sundown sub to try to throw on a 3K amp I think you'd be a bit safer with a "team" model with the 4" coil.  The 3" 8 layer coil in the Z is pretty chunky but you can definitely smoke them on a 3K amp if you play it hard.

Ya so many amps im just gonna go with the RF amp,  So thats 2500-3000 rms at 2ohm.    What Brand of subwoofer would you suggest then if not sundown?  And is a single 18 the way to go for an SUV?  Im open for suggestions.

Iv looked at like 50 dif subs and i dont get what makes one sub cost 10 more then another.  

I really liked the sound of the JL 13.5" but they cost a ton.

Pi subs seem decent and easy to buy,  they just seem to want 4000+ watts each HAHAHA 

Ascendant audio---same people who make SMD subs i think

Sundown Audio---  Really like there Zv5 18"

Fi Audio  --They have like 8 dif kinds so im not sure which one to pick,  They have a BTL Series – BTL-NEO18 and has 2000 watt RMS, 

DC Audio ---There XL Elite 18 is 2200 watt RMS

DD Audio ---I for the life of me can not find somewhere to buy this stuff.  

And i have a 200amp alt and a D3400 xs bat.  Im hoping staying at 2500-3000 watts i wont have to buy more bats. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Dragonsyph

CarAudio.com Regular
Dragonsyph
Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from