New G63... decisions....

Hawkeye911

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m adding a custom subwoofer enclosure to 2019 G63 and need some advice. After visiting car audio store, I’m honestly more confused.

I’d like to maximize cargo area in rear hatch, not completely blocking the rear seats.

I am a fan of JL Audio and was considering (2) 13TW (the 13.5” thin design) in a sealed box with a JL HD1200 amp.

The audio store is instead recommending (4) JL 8W7’s (8” subs) in two ported boxes with a JL HD1200 amp.

The 8’s would be pointed upward and would be split into two ported enclosures, one on each side of rear cargo space.

I’m a big fan of Rap / Hip-Hop. I like deep bass.

Intuitively, 8’s sounds too small (I had two Rockford Fosgate 15’s in my first car years ago). I’ve had Bazooka 10’s in a Blazer which hit great with the hatch enhancing the sound. More recently, I had (1) JL 13TW in an X6M (pushed by a JL HD750 amp) which sounded great also.

My biggest concern is the ability to hit the very low frequency’s, not necessarily how “loud” they are.

Here’s a summary....

Number of subs preferred:
Two (if 10’s to 13.5’s) to four (if 8’s)

Size preferred (if configuration allows):
Leaning toward 8’s if they’ll perform well with lows

Budget:
$5k to $8k

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance):
JL Audio HD1200

Space available (take measurements, do not guess):
Plenty, but want to minimize size

Goals:
Deep bass, not take up entire hatch

Listening habits:
Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop

Preferred brands/subs/whatever:
JL Audio

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Out of all those choices I like the 2 13.5W7’s in a ported box idea but yeah it’ll take up most of your hatch. Sealed won’t get you that deep bass. It can still hit low, but just not with authority. The 4 8W7’s in 2 ported boxes is a good idea actually. That would essentially be able to achieve your lows while keeping most of your hatch. Don’t let the 8” size fool you. Those puppies can deliver some nice deep bass in the right enclosure.

Out of all those choices I like the 2 13.5W7’s in a ported box idea but yeah it’ll take up most of your hatch. Sealed won’t get you that deep bass. It can still hit low, but just not with authority. The 4 8W7’s in 2 ported boxes is a good idea actually. That would essentially be able to achieve your lows while keeping most of your hatch. Don’t let the 8” size fool you. Those puppies can deliver some nice deep bass in the right enclosure.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

Will the sound be better if it’s in a conventional wood box (I believe they use Birch) versus if it has plexiglass on the sides?

4 of those 8w7’s built in a split ported enclosures will go lower than you probably think. Just don’t skimp on Enclosure size for the sake of space. 4 woofers is still 4 woofers...

also, 8w7’s are thousand watt subs, I would consider one of those amps to each pair of subs.

4 of those 8w7’s built in a split ported enclosures will go lower than you probably think. Just don’t skimp on Enclosure size for the sake of space. 4 woofers is still 4 woofers...

also, 8w7’s are thousand watt subs, I would consider one of those amps to each pair of subs.

Great advice, thank you!

Should I put grills on the subs (as they’ll be facing up) or does that affect sound quality?

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

Will the sound be better if it’s in a conventional wood box (I believe they use Birch) versus if it has plexiglass on the sides?

Birch is the ideal wood for box building. Very light and strong. Plexiglass needs to be really thick and it gets ridiculously expensive. They would sound the same tho.

Great advice, thank you!

Should I put grills on the subs (as they’ll be facing up) or does that affect sound quality?

That's up to you. They don't affect sound quality. I think it looks better without grills. It's just for protection so someone or something doesn't hit it by accident.

Stereo Integrity has the HST sub line up, that use tiny sealed enclosures, for example the HST12 needs .6cuft net, but in car response is about 10 or so hrtz on the bottom and around 90 on the top end. They also make an 11 inch version that only needs .5cuft net. And they are 2000wrms subs. I have used their 12, and 18 inch versions, and impressive is the word that comes to mind.

I’m adding a custom subwoofer enclosure to 2019 G63 and need some advice. After visiting car audio store, I’m honestly more confused.

I’d like to maximize cargo area in rear hatch, not completely blocking the rear seats.

I am a fan of JL Audio and was considering (2) 13TW (the 13.5” thin design) in a sealed box with a JL HD1200 amp.

The audio store is instead recommending (4) JL 8W7’s (8” subs) in two ported boxes with a JL HD1200 amp.

The 8’s would be pointed upward and would be split into two ported enclosures, one on each side of rear cargo space.

I’m a big fan of Rap / Hip-Hop. I like deep bass.

Intuitively, 8’s sounds too small (I had two Rockford Fosgate 15’s in my first car years ago). I’ve had Bazooka 10’s in a Blazer which hit great with the hatch enhancing the sound. More recently, I had (1) JL 13TW in an X6M (pushed by a JL HD750 amp) which sounded great also.

My biggest concern is the ability to hit the very low frequency’s, not necessarily how “loud” they are.

Here’s a summary....

Number of subs preferred:
Two (if 10’s to 13.5’s) to four (if 8’s)

Size preferred (if configuration allows):
Leaning toward 8’s if they’ll perform well with lows

Budget:
$5k to $8k

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance):
JL Audio HD1200

Space available (take measurements, do not guess):
Plenty, but want to minimize size

Goals:
Deep bass, not take up entire hatch

Listening habits:
Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop

Preferred brands/subs/whatever:
JL Audio

Thanks for your input!

If you go with 4-8's, then, you should look at the Sundown SA-8 or the AB VFL8. Those JL's are so overpriced.

You could get four of these for half the price of the JL's.

Screenshot_20200604-155642_Samsung Internet.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.