New Car & Stereo - Unsure Which Adapter Is Needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

Christina Tipton

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help me find the right adaptor for my car stereo.

It’s my first car, a Volkswagen Beetle 2001, and the stereo is a Sony one (see photos). The previous stereo was taken out of the car so I’m not sure if I have all the right wires to get this one set up.

I’ve attached photos of the stereo and the wires that I’ve currently got in my car.

I did originally take this to Halford’s but they said they didn’t sell the correct adaptor and that I’d have to find this on Sony’s website.

Does anyone know the correct adaptor, and the best/cheapest way of getting this?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2B57845D-A8B4-46CB-B150-5D26FC105811.jpeg

49ADFAF7-22FB-4C73-8D03-D6978B08859F.jpeg

8C546280-6881-4B98-A190-11AF4DE182BF.jpeg

182C6D52-2A77-4928-9A4B-AE5C80B2A357.jpeg

You should have got a plug with some wires sticking out with the Sony CD player to plug into the back of that Sony unit.   If you do not have this there's a problem.  Did you get the head unit brand new? 

Best one stop shopping for the install kits you'll want is Crutchfield.com   Simply plug in your year make and model (you also might need to know if you have the upgraded factory sound system to get the right adapters).   You may need a dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter.  Crutchfield has been around a long time and they're known for good customer service.  They're generally pretty good for phone support as well.  You will need these parts (Metra or Schoshe brands most likely) in addition to the Sony plug that should have came with your CD player.

Best Buy should also have (or be able to order) all these parts but it might be hit or miss getting the right ones depending how competent the installer at your local store is.  The guy up here has been installing for 20 years or so but I suspect most stores aren't so lucky.

From there, you just match up the color wires on one side to the color wires on the other.  If a color is on one and not on another side tape it up and ignore.   Crimp connect or solder and tape.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.