New Build Advise for an Old Guy just starting Out

I’m already running right 1 10 at 1 ohmo. To the yeeter yyeeyeyeeyyee and the Sundown efgufpm of k

In my post, I did say space wasn't an issue. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I plan on a custom box next but I'm showing the suggested from AB is 1-1.5 sqft. I was thinking the same on the size and bumping up to a 12 XFL in a custom box. But if I was able to get a custom box for a 12, which of the 12s I mentioned in the OP would you choose? (that's a question for anyone who has an opinion)

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210223-085658_Firefox.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210223-085658_Firefox.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 136
I don’t think you’ve heard what that sub can do in a proper custom ported box. If you can power that sub with a strong 1500 watts and have it in a custom ported box, it will get downright nasty.
I've wondered if that was the case. Also, should I go ported or slot ported?
The boss head unit would be my second upgrade, after a new box. Any head unit with 4+ volt preouts and an EQ would be decent.
Again, I'm new at this so how exactly does this help? Does keep the amp from having to work as hard or something? Sorry, I like to know every aspect of this and how it works. A good understanding on all aspects if possible.
My third upgrade, if I had your equipment, would be to sound deaden your doors. With all the extra bass you will have from your custom box, you will need to get some more midbass to keep up with the subs.
I've been researching this a lot as well and planned o doing it soon. Especially the rear cargo door, it's a rattlin basteed.[/QUOTE]

I've wondered if that was the case. Also, should I go ported or slot ported?

Again, I'm new at this so how exactly does this help? Does keep the amp from having to work as hard or something? Sorry, I like to know every aspect of this and how it works. A good understanding on all aspects if possible.

I've been researching this a lot as well and planned o doing it soon. Especially the rear cargo door, it's a rattlin basteed.
[/QUOTE]
Having higher voltage preouts does help the amps receive a stronger signal. The one thing that I’ve found is that you can get good results with budget equipment, if it’s installed properly, but you can’t skimp too much on the head unit. It needs to have decent preouts and an EQ at minimum. Crossovers in the head unit are kinda nice also. Some of the cheaper pioneers, kenwoods and alpines have these things. I’m a fan of pioneer myself.

Really? Ok, dont think I need to go to 12” XFL? Any advice on what to request or certain specs i should provide when either hetting it made online or plans/cut sheets for me to build myself?

One of the issues I’m finding with this is getting the correct parameters for my version of the XFL. You’ll almost always see the 1k watt rms version and mine is 1.5k watts rms. I imagine that changes some things.

At minimum, you should add another 10" XFL and a custom built box.

Having higher voltage preouts does help the amps receive a stronger signal. The one thing that I’ve found is that you can get good results with budget equipment, if it’s installed properly, but you can’t skimp too much on the head unit. It needs to have decent preouts and an EQ at minimum. Crossovers in the head unit are kinda nice also. Some of the cheaper pioneers, kenwoods and alpines have these things. I’m a fan of pioneer myself.
Second the vote for pioneer. $200 gets you a nice double din touch screen with front rear and sub tunable crossovers.

In my post, I did say space wasn't an issue.
You say that, but if we told you to run a single 18" in 10-12 cubic foot gross box you might balk. Space makes bass and "Hoffman's Iron Law" would make a good case that using a lot of cone area and a large cabinet (where practical) is going to be about the cheapest and easiest way to get more output and good low extension.

American Bass and Soundqubed are both solid for what they are and both good value. For the most part if you're not in a "money is no object" position everything you're choosing between is going to be coming out of the same factory in China and using mostly the same parts, so pick whichever one you like the logo of better.

The point being, so long as you stay out of the junk drawer when shopping and build the correct box for the sub you buy anything in your budget should perform about the same for practical purposes. But I'd suggest going for more cone area and large box if you want this to be really jaw dropping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.