Need some advice finishing install..

Participant count
  • Participants list

Cptdisco

CarAudio.com Newbie
This might be long winded but I know some of you guys geek out on this stuff so here goes..

Started with an old setup I had..
Pioneer MVH 210-EX Double din
RCA Preouts3 (2V)
Built-in AmplifierMOSFET 50W x 4
Easy EQ (EEQ) Preset Equalizer
D/A Converter24-Bit
Time Alignment (CD-MC20 required)Auto
Crossover NetworkHPF/LPF

MTX 500.1 2OHM amp-300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms w variable lo pass filter etc

2- 2ohm 12” Rockford shallow mount R2s in sealed box- under rear Seat of my ram

Heres where it gets interesting…
Speakers sound pretty good, truck came with upgraded Alpine sound system. Was thinking of trading out the 3.5” dash speakers to get some his up front, turns out they are not working. When I pulled the speakers, I found “base” model junk speakers. This made me curious so I started pulling door panels.. lo and behold I have
JL C2-650CW components up front 4Ohm
JL C2-650X coaxial in the rear 4ohm
This was a nice surprise to find these nice speakers but I know they’re not working to their full potential…
The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner took what was easy to grab and replaced the tweeters with the base 3.5” speakers and never connected them to the aftermarket head unit. No sign of crossovers either, guess they took those too.
Based on what I’ve found, I’d sssume I need the tweeters for the components and a crossover for each.
a) what would be my best options to go with based on what I already have?
b) can I power the speakers from my head unit or do I need 2 amps, one for speakers one for subs
c) if I do need two would my current amp be better to power subs or speakers

Any opinions/input appreciated… TIA!

Bra
To get those jls to their potential you’ll want a 4 ch amp. Jl has sets available that have no tweets for cheaper but they don’t sell em separately. If they came w out tweets they’re coaxials. Idk how it works to add tweets but I did hack in some extra speakers in back of my set up.
You could run tweets on your current hu front channel if they do work. They could be blown. I don’t recall my oe tweet’s having a crossover. It certainly could be inline but idt.
My opinion is it’d be best for sq to get new ones w crossovers.

3.5” are a rare breed on Crutchfield where I shop. There are nice ones but I believe jl may be the only maker and they’re proud of them.

I think the 3.5” are more mid bass which could audibly be detected and worth using if they work. I used the 3.5” from my oe bose system and their brackets and paired em w the focal 6x9 2 ways The bose are 2 ohm but wired in parallel w the 4 ohm focal coaxials. I may be wrong but I think that’s a 3 ohm load to each of the rear channels. They definitely add more sound. Paired w the hu dsp the stage is wide and full. Who knows tho I’m deaf by now.
You may be able to integrate those tweets that way but I can’t speak to which wiring method to use.

Your mono amp is suited for sub only. Likely there’s a way to use it for other things but not in a way I’d do other than for subs.

May want the big 3+ if you choose a second amp. IMHO never skimp on wire size, it’s far harder to do it again than to do it right the first time.

Bra
To get those jls to their potential you’ll want a 4 ch amp. Jl has sets available that have no tweets for cheaper but they don’t sell em separately. If they came w out tweets they’re coaxials. Idk how it works to add tweets but I did hack in some extra speakers in back of my set up.
You could run tweets on your current hu front channel if they do work. They could be blown. I don’t recall my oe tweet’s having a crossover. It certainly could be inline but idt.
My opinion is it’d be best for sq to get new ones w crossovers.

3.5” are a rare breed on Crutchfield where I shop. There are nice ones but I believe jl may be the only maker and they’re proud of them.

I think the 3.5” are more mid bass which could audibly be detected and worth using if they work. I used the 3.5” from my oe bose system and their brackets and paired em w the focal 6x9 2 ways The bose are 2 ohm but wired in parallel w the 4 ohm focal coaxials. I may be wrong but I think that’s a 3 ohm load to each of the rear channels. They definitely add more sound. Paired w the hu dsp the stage is wide and full. Who knows tho I’m deaf by now.
You may be able to integrate those tweets that way but I can’t speak to which wiring method to use.

Your mono amp is suited for sub only. Likely there’s a way to use it for other things but not in a way I’d do other than for subs.

May want the big 3+ if you choose a second amp. IMHO never skimp on wire size, it’s far harder to do it again than to do it right the first time.
Thanks! To clarify, I believe the previous owner took the JL tweets that came with front speakers and replaced with junk that don’t work with the setup. I’m very doubtful that all 3 are just blown. The 6.5”s are definitely component speakers, just don’t have the tweets to go with them and don’t mind buying them to create a well rounded system. They should be 4 ohm with a 4 channel amp that can support dash, front components, rear coax correct? What do you recommend for amp and crossovers?

Ok. If you buy tweets they’ll come w their own inline crossovers.
Youd connect the speaker wire to the crossover which then connects to the tweeter. I went back and installed the crossover sent w the components which although uses power I have enough to spare and the improvement was worth it.
If they’re blown pry the magnets off and use em on your work bench.

check the stats on those jls for rms wattage and find a decent 4 ch amp that has similar output.
I’ll guess they consume 50-90watts each. The closer to that number the better their performance. The rf p600 has about 80x4. I noticed that upgrading my 4ch the speakers didn’t really get louder but sounded better.
You can run tweets on the same front channel bc they use very little power.
John

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...