Need recs for SPL amp/sub/box combo

tweekerz
10+ year member

Chicago
In my integra hatch I am currently running 2 12 Alpine Type Rs in 3.0 cu ft ported box with the port (I believe it is 12 in square port tuned to 50hz). I am powering them with 375watts each w/ my lanzar 1500d amp. These subs seem to distort at higher spl which i seem to listen to the most. They get very loud, don’t get me wrong but loose strength in the lower bass frequencies. Even with my seats down and it is still not loud enough which tells me i need to upgrade. I am looking for more SPL.

My couz has 2 12 Kicker Solobaric L5s in a 4.5 cu ft vented box, there are 2 vents, one for each sub i guess in his hatch. Also using the Alpine CDA-9815. His setup sounds nice, F****** LOUD and clean. When I say clean I mean the bass does not distort at high excursion at all like mine. His system does not sound like there is an end to the volume limit. He is throwing 500watts to each w/ an audiobahn amp. I guess i am using his system as a reference and looking to have a system that knocks me off of my ass but is still pretty clean.

Any recommendations on a sub amp combo? One 15 in a ported or vented box or sealed? 2 15's or 2 12's? Sorry for the novel here but i want to do it right this time. I heard good things about the L7s.

I like the L7s. I also heard lots of good things about the RE subs. Looking to power something like this in 15s with a 1000 watts. I have about 4 cu ft to work with...

Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

50hz!!!!!!!! that right there is your problem. That is way too high of a tunning unless it is a pure comp setup. Tune the box lower to around mid 30's and you should not get all the distortion. You may not be as loud but at least it will not distort.

If you are looking for a new sub what is your budget?

Jon

well ive heard Type R's get pretty loud and sound decent. I would try a differen't amp and box first, but if your tired of those subs, then change them. Now when u say 4 cubes to work with, is that external? if so, u have probly a little more than 3 cubes.

I am in the process of reworking my whole entire system, but a new amp and sub is in order. I have setup a budget for the this at about 1K. I am looking for an amp that puts out atleast 1000 watts and a 15 that can handle the power.

well ive heard Type R's get pretty loud and sound decent. I would try a differen't amp and box first, but if your tired of those subs, then change them. Now when u say 4 cubes to work with, is that external? if so, u have probly a little more than 3 cubes.
I probably have about 4 1/2 cubes external....

i bet if you just change the box you have it will sound like a new system. people say that 39Hz tuning is way to high and to use around 30Hz. your at 50Hz. those type R's are very decent subs. pay $150 to get a good ported box tuned at like 30Hz. you will be much happier and richer.

do you want ot use all of the money or try and save as much as posble. Do you want pure SPL still SQ or a little of both SQL.

SPL:

IA Death Penilty off a hifonics 1500D

SQL:

SI magnum of a HiFonics 1000D

XXX off a HiFonics 1500D or PG tantrum 1200.1

SQ

Magnum off HiFonics 1000D

These are my choses for SPL,SQL, and SQ there are still tons of other combo's out there

Jon

do you want ot use all of the money or try and save as much as posble. Do you want pure SPL still SQ or a little of both SQL.
SPL:

IA Death Penilty off a hifonics 1500D

SQL:

SI magnum of a HiFonics 1000D

XXX off a HiFonics 1500D or PG tantrum 1200.1

SQ

Magnum off HiFonics 1000D

These are my choses for SPL,SQL, and SQ there are still tunes of other conbos out there

Jon
I would obviously want to save as much as possible but looking to do the right thing this time around. I dont mind spending the money because this time around the only way these are going to be taken out of my car is if its stolen. ive already gone through JL 10w3v2's, 2 12' Soundstream SPL Mules in sealed enclosure, and now the Type R's. But i find myself going to a larger and larger sub. I have heard 15's and have to say I should have done that a long time ago. I want something solid and powerfull. Looking for pure SPL still SQ.

I dont have alot of experience with 15s, i only heard type r's and l7s. but i know there is other equipment out there.

check out the IA's they are a SPL driver but seem to be able to keep good SQ for a SPL driver. Check them out at http://www.incriminatoraudio.com The 15 is 600$ and the HiFonics is around 270$ on ebay. That leaves a little. If you want to go cheaper check the XXX and the Magnum. Both of them are cheaper... closer to 400$ i think..not sure. For the XXX the web site is http://www.respl.com The Magnum is... i can't remember i will find it in a min.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.