Need help removing 1992 Chevy Lumina Bose amp

ucyunvme

Hey I just bought a 1992 Chevy Lumina and the Bose silver edition amp that is mounted in the trunk with the two 6x9 speakers is blown.

I was wondering if it is possible to remove the amp and still have the back speakers work or if I need to get a new amp...

If I can remove the amp how would I wire the speakers?

The harness that goes into the amp has a lot more than just four wires going into it. Can anyone give me the colors that are actually for just the speakers?

If I do need to replace the amp is there a better amp I can put in place of the one that is currently in? (Such as a more up to date amp that uses the same harness)

I would greatly appreciate the help.

i've looked everywhere for wire colors... also i noticed that if I unplug the amp entirely the radio plays no sound (even out of the front speaker? WTF?)

I looked over the site given, the wire colors actually dont match the ones connected to the amplifier harness. I noticed that the system actually runs to the amp then the amp out to the speakers. So the amp has to be a 2 channel amp (front/back) or a 4 channel amp (front left right/ back left right)...

What I am thinking about doing is actually rewiring the entire sound system togather so that it is fed from the main head unit. I will actually video it since on other forums I noticed the same question popped up with no one answering it. The head unit has to be feeding the amp everything then the amp to the speakers so I will actually move the front speakers to be ran from the head unit itself rather than the amp, and also the back speakers. It will take me awhile to do this but once I get some free time to do it i'll post up the video on youtube and link it if anyone is interested, thanks for the help!

A lot of cars came with what they called premium sound systems. This seems to be what you have. You have it right thought you should rewire all the speakers, but if your going to do that why not just run all 4 to a 4 way amp?

I actually don't want the speakers on a amp. A newer deck will provide enough power to the speakers that are in there. I have kids so im not going for an overly crazy loud system I think an amp will just make me wanna turn it up you know lol...

You can most likely bypass that shitty factory amp. I know its a completely different car, but i have a 93 continental that had the factory amp in the rear, tho i did bypass it and run a 4 channel and no head unit power. It looks easily bypassed using stock wires if you can find the info. I checked that crutchfield link for my car and all the info is there for all the wires for the deck as well as the factory amp which is everything needed to just bypass is and use factory wiring.

OK that link he posted has all the info for everything you need. All you need to do is splice the wires together in the rear. If you were going for an amplified system, i would say run new wires but in this case the way it sounds you will be fine with just splicing the wires together.

All you need to do is look at the diagrams and its all there.

If the speakers are any lower than 4 ohms you will not be able to hook them up to a new head unit. I would ditch the rears put a nice front set in run a nice amp and get a new head unit. Make sure to run all new wires for the speakers as some bose models have a inline crossover.

I think he said his rear speakers are blown and are gona be replaced anyways.

I hate hooking up a deck to a factory amp, its not quite made to work like that i dont think. I mean your sending like 20 watts or so from an aftermarket deck where im sure the stock deck is sending out a much lower input signal for the amp. Id bypass the amp no matter what you do.

i do agree there i always bypass. my suggestion would be to run new wires from the deck to where your speakers are. it's not that hard to do. if it's anything like my 94 was you have 4x6 in the dash and 6x9s in the back. unless u have the door speakers. then those if i recall right are either 5.25 or 6.5s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.