Need help on my quest to get decently loud and still sound good...

Participant count
  • Participants list

bajbass

baj
Well since i have my bass where i want it be (2 12 American bass xfls ported) i need to get my mids to keep up currently im running these https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/xpro-6-65-Octagonal-mid-range-driver-4-ohm/    along side a pair of massive ct2 tweeters. The problem is like every 6.5 pro audio speaker i cross path with there is a huge nulls and peaks in the frequency responce when i measure in rew which sounds annoying and horrible without heavy eqing.I find i need to cut 1.3khz  by 11 dbs to get it near flat responce then there is still big 8 -dbs null around 700 hz i think .....then they dont get as loud after heavy eqing.My question is do i get 8 inch better pro audio speakers like the crescendo un 8s with more power behind them or get multiple car audio midbass/midrange 6.5s in each door whice sound way better without much eqing...

Well since i have my bass where i want it be (2 12 American bass xfls ported) i need to get my mids to keep up currently im running these https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/xpro-6-65-Octagonal-mid-range-driver-4-ohm/    along side a pair of massive ct2 tweeters. The problem is like every 6.5 pro audio speaker i cross path with there is a huge nulls and peaks in the frequency responce when i measure in rew which sounds annoying and horrible without heavy eqing.I find i need to cut 1.3khz  by 11 dbs to get it near flat responce then there is still big 8 -dbs null around 700 hz i think .....then they dont get as loud after heavy eqing.My question is do i get 8 inch better pro audio speakers like the crescendo un 8s with more power behind them or get multiple car audio midbass/midrange 6.5s in each door whice sound way better without much eqing...
11 db peak at 1.3khz is absolutely not natural or normal at all, something else could be at play here other than type of speaker.

That being said, UNs should sound a lot better and smoother. Powerbass isnt really known for good sounding mids.  Also door treatments are important and headunit or  DSP + source is important. You also want literally double the speaker's RMS.

If you can do multiple 6.5s then have one dedicated for midrange and one dedicated for midbass.  Have like several mids and highs amps and do a 3 way active network setup. You'll also want to do some heavy door treatments to treat any kind of reflection and cancellation you are experiencing in the door that is causing these peaks and dips. 

well i have measured the powerbass mid out of car in small bookshelf box i made and came up with this graph

powerbass mid.jpg

Btw I have a dayton dsp and a precision power phantom p900.4 for now ...planing to bridge it into stereo to get at least 450 x2 then get a stereo amp or so to power the tweeters.My doors are extremely deaden but starting to wonder if the door panels causing the freaky response since the grills on the panels don't line up perfectly to the front of the speaker..

Btw I have a dayton dsp and a precision power phantom p900.4 for now ...planing to bridge it into stereo to get at least 450 x2 then get a stereo amp or so to power the tweeters.My doors are extremely deaden but starting to wonder if the door panels causing the freaky response since the grills on the panels don't line up perfectly to the front of the speaker..
Might want to get some foam weather strip to seal up and fully direct the sound into the car cabin. Also are you using a head unit as well or are you using the USB dongle? Yeah that dip on the graph doesnt look good but the peak is definitely from your door acoustics.

well i got them to sound a bit better but still looking to replace them with 8s but since i live in the caribbean its a challenge getting my hands on any crescendo gear unless i pay a **** tonne of shipping and duty.....choices are limited locally...but what i can get my hands on are basically DS18 8 pros or neos , powerbass ,power acoustic...,precision power may find pioneers and ground zero. But the ground zeros cost a fortune even if its worth it idk but are the ds18 mids any good....?

btw i use rca and bluetooth sometimes but handling the phone while on the road for volume and sound selection is a pain in the a**

well i got them to sound a bit better but still looking to replace them with 8s but since i live in the caribbean its a challenge getting my hands on any crescendo gear unless i pay a **** tonne of shipping and duty.....choices are limited locally...but what i can get my hands on are basically DS18 8 pros or neos , powerbass ,power acoustic...,precision power may find pioneers and ground zero. But the ground zeros cost a fortune even if its worth it idk but are the ds18 mids any good....?

btw i use rca and bluetooth sometimes but handling the phone while on the road for volume and sound selection is a pain in the a**
do they have any pure midbass only drivers? might want to do a 3 way active front with a dedicated midbass, midrange and tweeters.

Well not sure I could find any dedicated mid bass driver but I'll look around...Another question do you usually lpf cross pro audio mids higher than regular car mids since these speakers have a responce up to 10 kHz...? Right now I have them cross at 4000 k @24 linkwitz Riley filter

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.