Need help is it safe to bridge amp to speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list

Bigvic514

CarAudio.com Newbie
Montreal
Hey guys I need help I'm currently running a 4 channel amp pionner 8604 (100x4) to my pioneer speakers coaxialT Ts-D68f
on a excelon Kenwood unit.Everything was install at a local shop.Been running this setup for a couple of months and sounds good but want it louder.I wanted components but it's too complicated to fit in a crown Victoria I would have to get custom pods and all that and I don't to go that route. I have to put my volume between to 25-27/35 for it to start sounding loud should I bridged it . Speaker specs are 80 watts rms 300 watt peak and if 2xbridged at 4 ohms it's 300 watts.Would that be too much even tho the gains are set low?

"gains set low" gain is not a volume knob.but to answer your questions IF the gains are set properly it will be fine
Thanks man but will it be really noticeable in term of loudness and all or that the sound will be louder at lower volumes compare to if it wasn't bridged?

Probably not as loud as you're hoping for but a good idea to bridge so you can keep the gains low. Less stress on amp and plenty of headroom. Not sure what's so difficult about putting comps in a crown vic unless you're going for something bigger than factory size? Can you not find 5.25s that'll fit without having to do pods or mods? I've not put anything in my grand marquis yet bet I'm not too worried about getting something to fit.
Might look at some at least mid grade focal or hertz they make bright sounding comps. You can go to crutchfield and see what'll fit without mods.

If your excelon deck will let you run active get a set of tweeters and a set of 6.5 raw drivers and just go tweeters on 1/2 and drivers on 3/4. It will be significantly louder and more tune able. Otherwise a 6.5 Comp set would be second alternative. Just
Buy some 6.5” mdf Rings to use as speaker mounts and use a jigsaw to to make a bigger door cavity for the bigger speaker diameter. Your door cavity cutout is what will matter. Last alternatice is go raw drivers and get a 5.25is driver These linked below are 4.88 cutout diameter. Midbass will be lacking.

Thanks man but will it be really noticeable in term of loudness and all or that the sound will be louder at lower volumes compare to if it wasn't bridged?
no, your speakers are pretty much at their limit. You need to look at sensitivity ratings when buying speakers. nothing else matters when it comes to loud, power ratings dont mean loud it just means how much it needs to get loud. Sensitivity is how loud it gets on the power you give it. shoot for anything 92 to 99 db sensitivity. Your current ones are 87 which is abysmally piss poor for a 6x8 which has a lot more cone area than a 6.5 and a lot of 6.5 coaxials are 89-92 db sensitivity. like a pair of 96 db drivers on 100 watts each will be louder than 16 of your pioneer speakers on 800 watts total is how drastic of a difference sensitivity makes. Seen and heard a live comparison before lmao 8 pioneer 6x9s per door losing to a pair of pro audio drivers and super tweets ran active by far in loudness.

Last edited:
these would be a good bit louder than your current 6x8
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R8632CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-8632CFX.html

or these if you plan on bridging.
Thanks alot guys for all these information seriously ! Pointless to bridge them at this point Damn I will probably have sell these and look into the infinity reference since it's sensitivity is higher.i will look into it in the next couple of months geez I was getting to my next step of installing subs but I will have to wait I want my mids and high loud before adding the sub.thanks again guys!

Probably not as loud as you're hoping for but a good idea to bridge so you can keep the gains low. Less stress on amp and plenty of headroom. Not sure what's so difficult about putting comps in a crown vic unless you're going for something bigger than factory size? Can you not find 5.25s that'll fit without having to do pods or mods? I've not put anything in my grand marquis yet bet I'm not too worried about getting something to fit.
Might look at some at least mid grade focal or hertz they make bright sounding comps. You can go to crutchfield and see what'll fit without mods.
I don't know since I haven't seen crown Vic users putting those in their car.i will research a little more to find something loud and bright seriously the d series sound good but is missing a little details in the music and too much bass in my opinion when cranked up.back to the drawing board.

If your excelon deck will let you run active get a set of tweeters and a set of 6.5 raw drivers and just go tweeters on 1/2 and drivers on 3/4. It will be significantly louder and more tune able. Otherwise a 6.5 Comp set would be second alternative. Just
Buy some 6.5” mdf Rings to use as speaker mounts and use a jigsaw to to make a bigger door cavity for the bigger speaker diameter. Your door cavity cutout is what will matter. Last alternatice is go raw drivers and get a 5.25is driver These linked below are 4.88 cutout diameter. Midbass will be lacking.

Honestly I don't know if it will let me run active I will check with the local shop and check it out thanks alot for the information!

I don't know since I haven't seen crown Vic users putting those in their car.i will research a little more to find something loud and bright seriously the d series sound good but is missing a little details in the music and too much bass in my opinion when cranked up.back to the drawing board.
turn your high pass filter on to 63 or 80hz if its too much bass.

Its also missing details because you have the tweeters down by your feet. If you got some 6x8 components and mounted the tweeter up a bit firing towards your ear, you'll have better soundstage and clarity. But if you have to deal with coaxials, some coaxials allow you to tilt the tweeter so it fires up higher, make sure its firing as close to the direction of your ears as possible.

also this should be in the running too. They are a bit brighter sounding than the kappas.

Last edited:

Its also missing details because you have the tweeters down by your feet. If you got some 6x8 components and mounted the tweeter up a bit firing towards your ear, you'll have better soundstage and clarity. But if you have to deal with coaxials, some coaxials allow you to tilt the tweeter so it fires up higher, make sure its firing as close to the direction of your ears as possible.

also this should be in the running too. They are a bit brighter sounding than the kappas.

Gotcha ok I will check the settings.Ya that's true the speakers are placed lower so it does affect the sound quality but I still feel it's missing details to it.My doors are sound deadnend in the fronts only I might install some fast rings when I change the front speakers I will look into the jbl because the specs do look good 94 db sensitivity as well and like you said a little brighter then the kappa

Gotcha ok I will check the settings.Ya that's true the speakers are placed lower so it does affect the sound quality but I still feel it's missing details to it.My doors are sound deadnend in the fronts only I might install some fast rings when I change the front speakers I will look into the jbl because the specs do look good 94 db sensitivity as well and like you said a little brighter then the kappa
it affects everything actually this is a frequency response graph on axis, off axis and very off axis, yours by the feet is even worse than that graph this is not your speaker its just a general example. On axis means firing directly towards your ear. Mids and tweeters on axis sound 100% different than off axis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.