need help hooking amp to stock radio in a 2001 grand am

All you need to do is go to walmart and buy a line converter. It takes speaker wire inputs and changes them to RCA's. It is not the best way to do it, but it will work. The other thing you can do is buy an amp with speaker wire inputs as well as rca inputs. The majority of amps that have this option are not your better amps. You can do a few things. You can take your HU out and hook the line converter there, or if you are putting your amp in the trunk you can take the speaker wires and patch in a couple of wires from those speakers to the line converter. This way you do not have to run 20 feet of RCA cable. If you are hooking up and amp this way and it is going to push subs make sure the amp has a HPF/LPF (crossover) built into it. If not you will be feeding the subs some frequencies they do not like. Most amps have this option.

The next thing you will have to do is find the wire on the back of the stock HU that powers the power ant. This will be used for your remote. IF you do not have one, you will have to run a wire from either your battery, or fuse box to your amp. Be advised if you run it from your battery you will need to put a switch inline to allow you to turn it off and on when you want. If you do not the amp will be on all the time. The easiest thing to do is find an ignition hot wire in your fuse box and tap into that. That way anytime you turn the ignition on it will turn the amp on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.