Need help building box for 2 American bass xfl1244

Participant count
  • Participants list
If I make the box 34” L x 18” W x 15” H, would a 16.5” L x 2.5” W x 11.5” deep port tune the box to 34hz? I’ve done the calculation I’m just not too sure about it & would appreciate a second opinion.

If I make the box 34” L x 18” W x 15” H, would a 16.5” L x 2.5” W x 11.5” deep port tune the box to 34hz? I’ve done the calculation I’m just not too sure about it & would appreciate a second opinion.
What vehicle are you building this for?.. I'm assuming it's for a trunk as the dimensions you listed seem smallish to me.

This was a dual XFL-12 box for a suv (Escalade) on higher power (5K @ 1ohm) and it did super well.

KekWIQ.jpg

Those XFL like some port area when pushed, 16.5 x 2.5 (41.25in2) for 2 might be a little low I'd think

Last edited:
What vehicle are you building this for?.. I'm assuming it's for a trunk as the dimensions you listed seem smallish to me.

This was a dual XFL-12 box for a suv (Escalade) on higher power (5K @ 1ohm) and it did super well.

KekWIQ.jpg

View attachment 26972

Those XFL like some port area when pushed, 16.5 x 2.5 (41.25in2) for 2 might be a little low I'd think

KekWIQ.jpg

View attachment 26972

I’m putting it in a 4 door Chevy Colorado. The dimensions are small because I’ve seen 2.5 cubic feet per speaker was good but I can definitely go bigger

Max dimensions are 48” long x 19” wide x 30” high
If there's that much available you should have plenty to get proper airspace, port area and tuning.

4 door Colorado? Removing the backseat?

Personally I'd keep it under the windowline, should be plenty of room.

Without seeing the vehicle I'd guess this would work super well subs/port up, I'd build a platform back there for it after removing the seats.
UuaJSr.jpg

Anyways... that's how I'd do it... 👀

Last edited:
If there's that much available you should have plenty to get proper airspace, port area and tuning.

4 door Colorado? Removing the backseat?

Personally I'd keep it under the windowline, should be plenty of room.

Without seeing the vehicle I'd guess this would work super well subs/port up, I'd build a platform back there for it after removing the seats.
UuaJSr.jpg

Anyways... that's how I'd do it... 👀
I’ve actually modified the first box you sent and put the subs on the same side as the port. I have it sketched out on graph paper and did the best I could buy I’m still a noob. Do you think this would work? If so it would be the best and easiest option for me.
1C81FCC9-608B-434A-A9D7-7D264892739D.png
ADCD71F6-ED78-4753-8B2F-B9B3297394B1.jpeg
1C535D5E-EA50-4ECD-AE82-8A66DB0A0F7E.jpeg

I’ve actually modified the first box you sent and put the subs on the same side as the port. I have it sketched out on graph paper and did the best I could buy I’m still a noob. Do you think this would work? If so it would be the best and easiest option for me. View attachment 26984View attachment 26985View attachment 26986
This is what you got drawn quick and dirty...

That's single .75" materials without bracing, single baffled because you were not specific. I'm assuming it'll be subs/port up?
The port area looks a little excessive but as long as the port width changes to 1/2 the exit width (6") to 3" after the bend you should be fine.
Myself, I'd keep the port area per foot in the 14-16in2 range for those Xfl's on your power if you actually get 3K out that amp.

I can design you a box if interested. My favorite airspace for XFL 12's is about 2.25. Used to work with an AB dealer, got to install and hear a lot of them. XFL's are one of my favorite woofers.

This is what you got drawn quick and dirty...
View attachment 26995
That's single .75" materials without bracing, single baffled because you were not specific. I'm assuming it'll be subs/port up?
The port area looks a little excessive but as long as the port width changes to 1/2 the exit width (6") to 3" after the bend you should be fine.
Myself, I'd keep the port area per foot in the 14-16in2 range for those Xfl's on your power if you actually get 3K out that amp.
Yeah I’ll be using 3/4 birch or 3/4mdf, haven’t decided yet. I was planning on doing a double baffle. Idk about the bracing I’m new to building boxes and have no experience, that’s why I posted here. Any tips or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

I can design you a box if interested. My favorite airspace for XFL 12's is about 2.25. Used to work with an AB dealer, got to install and hear a lot of them. XFL's are one of my favorite woofers.
That would be great! I really like the box dimensions I already have though, can you keep those close if not the same and just change the port? I’ve don’t have any experience with this and didn’t realize how much went into it until I started researching it. Any help would be nice

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.