Need box built or designed for 2 DD 2000 series 8" tuned to around 36hz

teoulennon
10+ year member

MS
I've googled and called everywhere, I never thought it'd be so tough to find someone that can help with this..
I'm looking for the flattest response possible - loud at upper and lower frequencies. If you think there is a better hz to tune at than 36hz I'm all ears.

Vehicle : 2019 f250 supercrew

Location in the vehicle: front firing under the back seat

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 53" x 13" x 6.5" to 8.5" BUT 8.5" to 10.5" with a 2" seat riser kit installed

Subwoofer make and model: DD 20008C (Digital Designs 2000 series 8")

Subwoofer Size: 8"

Number of Subwoofers: 2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): probably slot but I'm open to ideas - forward firing or side firing - forward firing seems to be popular

What type of music do you like?: edm mostly, but also hip hop, some country

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: everyday music - I need a flat frequency curve (had an sa10 in 1ft tuned to 35hz and it was peaky down low)

Tuning Freq (Hz): 36hz

Volume : 1ft each (2ft total)

Questions:
The above pretty much says it all - I'm not sure what the exact dimensions are with the 2" seat riser kit installed, so I just added 2" to the best measurements I could take of the seat stock.

Anyone know who can design a box for me? It would be great if they're able to build and ship too - unfortunately, I don't trust the shops in my area. Thanks!

You get the flattest response out of a sealed box. The consensus is that ported are louder and all things being equal they are, but only by a few decibels max. To clarify, I very seriously doubt you will get a full 3 dB increase just from a port. At 60 mph it probably won’t make a difference to you. I am probably the only person here that will recommend a sealed box but for musical sound quality you can’t beat them. Also, they have less roll off below their tuning frequency and between that and cabin gain I really don’t think you will notice much difference in actual output but you will definitely be able to tell a difference in extension.

You get the flattest response out of a sealed box. The consensus is that ported are louder and all things being equal they are, but only by a few decibels max. To clarify, I very seriously doubt you will get a full 3 dB increase just from a port. At 60 mph it probably won’t make a difference to you. I am probably the only person here that will recommend a sealed box but for musical sound quality you can’t beat them. Also, they have less roll off below their tuning frequency and between that and cabin gain I really don’t think you will notice much difference in actual output but you will definitely be able to tell a difference in extension.
Thanks for your reply. I suppose that depends on the sub - I've had an sa10 sub sealed and it's output was pathetic. Ported it and it was stupid loud. I'm trying to decide between 2 DD 2000 series 8's or 2 idmax 10's sealed. I'm leaning towards the idmax now though.

Truck boxes just suk in general imo. I've stopped doing designs for ALL underseat truck boxes. People expect too much from a compromised design to start and want to add subs into the enclosure in the end making a compromise a disaster. Airspace and tuning means something.... some Sa-12 in a Foxbox won't blow my skirts up... or anyone else's except the guy who paid for it. A pair of 8's or 10's should be plenty if boxed right... SeAlEd?.. ok then... buy an expensive esoteric brand with small enclosure recommendations and some power handling/xmax and be ready to look to upgrade within the month. Or be secure in your "SQ"... I like MUSIC with punch and extension. And output is the tradeoff going to a RAM or other underseat box from those 2 12's most used to have.
Endeth the rant... I hate expectations with truck crap.
Space makes bass... even sq bass

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I suppose that depends on the sub - I've had an sa10 sub sealed and it's output was pathetic. Ported it and it was stupid loud. I'm trying to decide between 2 DD 2000 series 8's or 2 idmax 10's sealed. I'm leaning towards the idmax now though.
I like Image Dynamics. They still seem to improve their speakers and not just stamp out crap for good margins.

Truck boxes just suk in general imo. I've stopped doing designs for ALL underseat truck boxes. People expect too much from a compromised design to start and want to add subs into the enclosure in the end making a compromise a disaster. Airspace and tuning means something.... some Sa-12 in a Foxbox won't blow my skirts up... or anyone else's except the guy who paid for it. A pair of 8's or 10's should be plenty if boxed right... SeAlEd?.. ok then... buy an expensive esoteric brand with small enclosure recommendations and some power handling/xmax and be ready to look to upgrade within the month. Or be secure in your "SQ"... I like MUSIC with punch and extension. And output s the tradeoff going to a RAM or other underseat box from those 2 12's you used to have.
No replacement for displacement. I will sacrifice decibels for quality any day but it is fun to be able to bump loud enough to get a little attention. I am partial to a single 12” in a sealed enclosure with a generous amount of power. 300 watts rms minimum. Preferably 500 or 600. It goes low, gets loud enough to listen to inside the car and costs less than two 10”s. I am 43 years old though and the kind of power we used to have is a lot less than now and cost a lot more. The modern builds don’t surprise me but the amount of watts is insane. Amps that legitimately do 10kw were science fiction back in the day. Now people have several of them in a single system. Insane

Truck boxes just suk in general imo. I've stopped doing designs for ALL underseat truck boxes. People expect too much from a compromised design to start and want to add subs into the enclosure in the end making a compromise a disaster. Airspace and tuning means something.... some Sa-12 in a Foxbox won't blow my skirts up... or anyone else's except the guy who paid for it. A pair of 8's or 10's should be plenty if boxed right... SeAlEd?.. ok then... buy an expensive esoteric brand with small enclosure recommendations and some power handling/xmax and be ready to look to upgrade within the month. Or be secure in your "SQ"... I like MUSIC with punch and extension. And output s the tradeoff going to a RAM or other underseat box from those 2 12's you used to have.
This response is great, thanks for the enlightening rant. If you had a crew cab truck ('19 f250 w/ 2" seat lift) what what you go with for sq and decent spl? I'm leaning towards a gately box for 2 idmax 10's in 3ft @ 35hz now.

Attachments

• gately.PNG
    gately.PNG
    70.8 KB · Views: 254
This response is great, thanks for the enlightening rant. If you had a crew cab truck ('19 f250 w/ 2" seat lift) what what you go with for sq and decent spl? I'm leaning towards a gately box for 2 idmax 10's in 3ft @ 35hz now.
Now you're getting the idea (or joining the club?)... That's another expensive option that imho could be improved on by having the port side or cabin corner loading imo.
If its seat lifted already a front firing side ported pair of 10s should really deliver.

The craftsmanship of those Gately enclosures is nice but for the pricetag you might expect more than you'll get.

Be careful with stating "sq" around here. What sounds good on music is one thing but stating "sq" can also be interpreted by members as that approximating that pursuit of perfection... And that will bring out the sealed box proponents and esoteric brand guys from what I've seen... :LOL:.

A fairly loud, musical substage with a pair of 10's on what I'm assuming is stock electrical shouldn't be hard. I've done a few myself but its frustrating to me when the user cuts the baffle and adds subs trying to get louder.

Here's a crazy idea... Since there is no mention anywhere of your locale why not throw that out there? Maybe someone will know of a local builder.

Now you're getting the idea (or joining the club?)... That's another expensive option that imho could be improved on by having the port side or cabin corner loading imo.
If its seat lifted already a front firing side ported pair of 10s should really deliver.

The craftsmanship of those Gately enclosures is nice but for the pricetag you might expect more than you'll get.

Be careful with stating "sq" around here. What sounds good on music is one thing but stating "sq" can also be interpreted by members as that approximating that pursuit of perfection... And that will bring out the sealed box proponents and esoteric brand guys from what I've seen... :LOL:.

A fairly loud, musical substage with a pair of 10's on what I'm assuming is stock electrical shouldn't be hard. I've done a few myself but its frustrating to me when the user cuts the baffle and adds subs trying to get louder.

Here's a crazy idea... Since there is no mention anywhere of your locale why not throw that out there? Maybe someone will know of a local builder.
Thanks, it is stock electrical but the alt is 220amps and I have two batteries stock as well.

I’m located in Mississippi - I’d love to find someone with the skill to build a box for 2 ported 10’s (Or 8’s for that matter) but I’m learning that’s easier said than done..I don’t trust shops in my area to handle it. Gately’s are insanely expensive but make it so easy.

Just the roundover router bit to do that 1.5" edge costs 150$ Though honestly for the price of those boxes you could absolutely buy all the tools and wood needed to knock together your own (if you're handy with woodworking). Not sure what seat lift kit would cost on its own. That box looks very nice though.

If you don't live near an audio shop that builds good custom boxes you might try reaching out to a proper cabinetmaker and see if they couldn't knock something like that together for less. Just be sure they use some 3/4" stock of MDF or cabinet grade ply.

Check out the SSA F-150 build. They did a seat spacer and fit 3 F8L 8’s ported under the seat forward firing. Currently I have a fox box under my seat (F-150). I had Sundown E’s and yes it got loud but sounded awful (downfiring ***** along with his small ass port). I then sealed it off with 2 ID Q 10’s which I like but it’s still missing something. My plan is to take the box and customize it by adding some mdf and fitting an SSA Icon 12 front firing in the center. I’m going to post the build here when I get time to start (we are having our second child any day now).

Mississippi?.. I'd think you'd be able to find someone. Where exactly are you located?
On the coast, about an hour from New Orleans.

Just the roundover router bit to do that 1.5" edge costs 150$ Though honestly for the price of those boxes you could absolutely buy all the tools and wood needed to knock together your own (if you're handy with woodworking). Not sure what seat lift kit would cost on its own. That box looks very nice though.

If you don't live near an audio shop that builds good custom boxes you might try reaching out to a proper cabinetmaker and see if they couldn't knock something like that together for less. Just be sure they use some 3/4" stock of MDF or cabinet grade ply.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get into that and build one on my own right now - I'd also need someone to help design the box to get proper tuning and port area with the space I have. I don't have the seat lift yet, so it's tough to get exact measurements.

Check out the SSA F-150 build. They did a seat spacer and fit 3 F8L 8’s ported under the seat forward firing. Currently I have a fox box under my seat (F-150). I had Sundown E’s and yes it got loud but sounded awful (downfiring ***** along with his small ass port). I then sealed it off with 2 ID Q 10’s which I like but it’s still missing something. My plan is to take the box and customize it by adding some mdf and fitting an SSA Icon 12 front firing in the center. I’m going to post the build here when I get time to start (we are having our second child any day now).
Thanks. I was looking at a fox box until I started to read reviews about them - that port does look waay too small for 2 10's.
What did you think was missing from the 2 idq's? And a 12 would be crazy front firing, aren't you going to have to lift the seat up even more for that? Do you have the LMI seat lift?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.