Need an amp

Participant count
  • Participants list
How do you intend to cross over those speakers?
I have a couple of crossover circuit I purchased off of Amazon.
But after seeing all the damn hype on this site and so many people trying to impress each other with all the fancy lingo, I may just replace the speakers in my car and donate the woofers and tweeters to a charity. This is all so ridiculous. I'm 60 years old and I dont need nor want a sound system that requires advanced calculus to design and install a couple of ****** speakers for a stupid car. I just want my stereo to sound good.

What kind of car? Brand of 8's? Ohm load of 8's? Your budget?
Do you know how the 8's are wired? 4ohm, 2ohm, 1ohm final impedance?
This will help us find the right amplifier to help you.
I have a 2017 Nissan Versa. The sub woofers are made by Pyle and the tweeters are made by Pyramid. I'm attaching a couple of pics for you from the boxes they came in.

Attachments

• 20210501_164420.jpg
    20210501_164420.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210501_164439.jpg
    20210501_164439.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 113
I'm 60 years old and I dont need nor want a sound system that requires advanced calculus to design and install a couple of ****** speakers for a stupid car. I just want my stereo to sound good.
I don't think you're the oldest member around here and you haven't got me beat by all that much.

That said, buying separate components and trying to get them to sound good is what will make this complicated. A pair of bookshelf speakers you have in your living room use an 8" woofer + tweeter and sound great, but they're a woofer and tweeter designed to work well together, in that system, and blend nicely to play all frequencies smooth and flat. Buying just any old 8" woofer than a tweeter becomes complicated and may not work at all.

The point being speakers are designed around playing a certain range of frequencies. A "full range" 8 inch woofer will play from 30hz up to 3000 while a subwoofer will generally perform poorly up above 300-400hz. So you'll have drums, bass guitar, and very low end of male vocals but nothing in between that and cymbals and guitar solos. You can generally add subwoofer(s) to just about anything and it'll sound OK but adding tweeters (on an amp) will very probably be over-powering and not sound very balanced.

Mind you, if you want to just add some treble to your factory speakers you can just T-tap a set like this (with built in crossover) to your front door speakers https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-CT26A-26mm-Aluminum-Automotive-Tweeter-Pair-267-8106

and if you want some bass, just grab a one-and-done powered subwoofer from a reputable company like Kicker, Pioneer, JBL/Infinity, Kenwood, etc.

For mids+highs upgrade just use Crutchfield site and figure out what size the factory speakers are and replace them with some components or coaxials in the 125-180$ a set range from a reputable company.

Either way, you could probably slap those subs in a simple sealed box, throw a couple hundred watts at them and be happy, not so sure about integrating those tweeters nicely though.

I don't think you're the oldest member around here and you haven't got me beat by all that much.

That said, buying separate components and trying to get them to sound good is what will make this complicated. A pair of bookshelf speakers you have in your living room use an 8" woofer + tweeter and sound great, but they're a woofer and tweeter designed to work well together, in that system, and blend nicely to play all frequencies smooth and flat. Buying just any old 8" woofer than a tweeter becomes complicated and may not work at all.

The point being speakers are designed around playing a certain range of frequencies. A "full range" 8 inch woofer will play from 30hz up to 3000 while a subwoofer will generally perform poorly up above 300-400hz. So you'll have drums, bass guitar, and very low end of male vocals but nothing in between that and cymbals and guitar solos. You can generally add subwoofer(s) to just about anything and it'll sound OK but adding tweeters (on an amp) will very probably be over-powering and not sound very balanced.

Mind you, if you want to just add some treble to your factory speakers you can just T-tap a set like this (with built in crossover) to your front door speakers https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-CT26A-26mm-Aluminum-Automotive-Tweeter-Pair-267-8106

and if you want some bass, just grab a one-and-done powered subwoofer from a reputable company like Kicker, Pioneer, JBL/Infinity, Kenwood, etc.

For mids+highs upgrade just use Crutchfield site and figure out what size the factory speakers are and replace them with some components or coaxials in the 125-180$ a set range from a reputable company.

Either way, you could probably slap those subs in a simple sealed box, throw a couple hundred watts at them and be happy, not so sure about integrating those tweeters nicely though.
[/Quote
Thanks so much for your input. You're the second person who's told me those tweeters aren't going to work that well with the subwoofers I bought.
Looks like I'm gonna have to start from scratch but that's OK.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start from scratch but that's OK.
Probably, back up one more step and let us know what your goals are, how much you are willing to spend, and how comfortable you are with DIY (box building/carpentry, removing panels/seats/carpeting/dash, drilling through firewall, running cable, etc.)
Most folks who want an audio upgrade go into Best Buy or their local audio shop, throw a few hundred bucks at whatever the salesman suggests and get an audible improvement. Joining this board and asking here puts you among ranks of guys ranging from noobs committed to DIY all the way up to people who want/need something so extreme as to be beyond the ability of any big box store and 99% of the "custom shops" out there so that they must learn to DIY.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...