Need advice on new setup - Mazda CX-5

Participant count
  • Participants list

Brassman2010

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Sport with no Bose (standard 4 speaker). I am looking at upgrading the door speakers, possibly going components with tweeters on the sail panels or a pillars, and adding a center channel. I already have a JBL DSP4086. My shop is telling me I should go with alpine type s components. I'm worried they are not very efficient, and the low end is lacking (no sub for right now). I'm thinking about Hertz Dieci 6.5 components. Are there other sets I should be looking at? JBL is 40w rms into 4 ohms or 60w into 2.

Are you just running them off the stock HU
No amplifier, no aftermarket HU?
I have a JBL DSP4086 amp. It is an 8-channel amp with built in DSP. It does 40w/channel into 4 ohms or 60w/channel into 2ohms.

I'm now looking at potentially spending a bit more, maybe on Type Rs or Mille Pros. Biggest concern with those options is whether the 40w RMS is going to be enough. I'd rather spend more on a better speaker that sounds better and can take more power later than spending more on power now for a worse speaker. I can't spend on both right now, and DSP is not negotiable since I'm adding a center speaker.

Last edited:
That’s basically an amp with a DSP built in? It at least has crossovers and some EQ’ ing. You wouldn’t even need passive crossovers, so you could buy nice midbass and tweeters separately. I had really good luck with Tang Band midbass drivers in my previous truck. I had bought them for my home audio system, but my alpine type R midbass components blew, so I threw it in there with a low watt silk dome tweeter (forget which brand), and kept it in there for a year before I had to pull them. It was just a throw together fly by night solution that sounded far better than the alpines I took out. I’m not saying there was anything wrong with the alpines. They were loud and played well from 60hz and up. In all fairness, I had a little 4 channel amp that only did around 50 watts per channel on those alpines, so they may have been underpowered, and the tang band was getting full power.

Following up on this, I ended up with Type R 6.5" components (tweeters fabricated into the A pillars where the stock tweeters would be), a Rockville RockGhost sub, and a JBL DSP4086 amp/DSP driving everything fully active. With the system time aligned and EQ'd, it gets plenty loud while staying super clear. Low end is surprising for the size and price of the sub. Sound stage is significantly improved with the components. I decided to skip the center channel until I can spring for something like a Helix that can upmix to create the center signal. Would definitely recommend this setup to others looking to upgrade their stock CX-5.

My wife has a CX5 as well. Same as yours, non bose. She's given me a VERY low budget, so I'm going with low-end replacements and most likely a spare-mounted sub. I've even thought of using the small corners in the rear to make 6x9 enclosures for dedicated subs there and for the doors roll with a nice component set.

Still planning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...