Need advice on installation quote given to me

Voland902

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi. I'm just looking for advice on a quote I got at a shop for an installation on my car.
Car is 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE with Navigation and already has an amplified system.

My parts are
2 10" JLW3
JL RD 1000/1
JL Slash 300/4
6.5 JL C2650 Components for front
6.5 JL C2650 Coaxials for Rear
LC7I output convertor
They are quoting me 1500$ for everything
Just wondering if this price is reasonable or I should run for the hills.

For me that’s a lot but I DIY. Usually if you buy equipment from them and get it installed, you can negotiate more. Since they aren’t making any markup on product, labor tends to get more expensive if that makes sense.

It is expensive, but that is a lot of work. I've done many full basic installs like that. Different shops have different quality, service, extra things they do during installs, like how they secure wires and quality of the stuff they have to add during an install. If you have zero desire to do it yourself and you pay that much for them, make sure that they'll help you when you have problems or need maintenance type work done. I would make sure it's a shop that isn't going to one and done you kind of thing. That kind of price should come with high quality install materials and support for future needs.

I will say installing car audio can open up the doorway to understanding how a lot of other things work. There's a lot of basic physics that can be learned while installing and tuning your own audio that will make you understand more about other things.

That seems high, especially if you already have an amp and power wire running to said amp. I assume they are not sound deadening? Are they building the enclosure? Making an amp rack?

Maybe ask if they can do it for $1200.

For me that’s a lot but I DIY. Usually if you buy equipment from them and get it installed, you can negotiate more. Since they aren’t making any markup on product, labor tends to get more expensive if that makes sense.
Also they now have no control of quality or fitness of whatever they install so it is significantly more risky to put in stuff that they do not sell/service.

Seems a bit high, but it is a big job, and most of these shops have to bid jobs at roughly the hourly rate of any sort of automotive garage to stay afloat so compare to the cost of say taking your car in for some major repair or body work when you try to figure what a "fair" hourly rate is in your area.

If they are building the box I'd say that's fair
For arguments sake say $100/hr for labor its probably higher than that but just for an example.
$300-$400 in shop supplies (wood, wires, fuse's, carpet ) again just a guess
Then 11-12 hours in labor
Be thankful you don't want fiberglass work done
That number would have been more like $4000-$5000

If they are building the box I'd say that's fair
For arguments sake say $100/hr for labor its probably higher than that but just for an example.
$300-$400 in shop supplies (wood, wires, fuse's, carpet ) again just a guess
Then 11-12 hours in labor
Be thankful you don't want fiberglass work done
That number would have been more like $4000-$5000

Fiberglass costs will make you faint

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.