Need a good multimeter to test amps, and Volts

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Im trying to figure out the wattage my amplifier is putting out. I want to make sure its able to feed the amount of power im asking of it and just curious i suppose. Its rated at 1000watts rms and i imagine im pushing it pretty close but im just guessing. So to figure watts i need volts times ampere, but these cheapo dmms only read up to 10a. Correct me if im wrong but if im pushing 1000 watts wont i need be able to read atleast 80 amps maybe more? Also plan on upgrading the system to push maybe 1500-2000 watts depending on the subs i get down the road so i need a multimeter that will accomadate this in the future

They make cheap digital amperage meters for like 15 buck, get them any where. Get the clamp style and put it over your power wire right next to the amp.
I already have a cheap 20 dollar multmeter, but it can read the amps, the fuse keeps blowing. It appears i need onethat can read more then 10 amps

You can't use a DMM to measure that much current. You need an inductive "clamp" meter.

By the way, it's not critical to know exactly how much power your amplifier creates. Additionally, what you will be calculating is Volt-Amps, not Power(i.e. watts). Look up the AMM-1 audio meter and read up on why and how people use it to measure amplifier power.

Just skimmed but measuring the voltage that your amp is drawing under stressful songs like Beyonce's entire discography can put a strain on your HP. No artist will drain my battery! No clue

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.