Need 10-12” single sub recommendations

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I had another thread but not sure where it went...

2021 Tahoe and looking to keep everything stock. No HO Alt, no second batt etc...all stock as possible.

recently I got a 13” JL shallow mount and let’s just say it’s not working out. I wanted to get the FI Audio SSD 12 but they are out of stock

ive been browsing the FS section and nothing jumps out at me in terms of used subs.

*Small port box is a must
amp is a SAZ1000.1 w/LC2iPro

I do not plan on buying and testing multiple brands so give me your top subunder 1k rms!

Thank you!

one question... I put the 13” shallow mount in a 4th order box with the sealed side at .8 cubes.
Port side was around 40-45hz, not 100% on that (it was designed but I forget the Hz).

I get distortion from the sub at any volume. I was told because the sub is placed in a .8 sealed section, it should not be making the sound.

SVC is 3.7 (good)
Box is solid (no loose corners, seams, baffle, port)
I placed sub in a 5gl bucket and cut out 4 pcs of 3/4” birch, drilled bucket so wires were a press fit (sealed) and sub sounded pretty good as a sealed sub vs. 4th order.

any ideas as to why it would sound off?

Port is 50 hz iirc. Sealed section is ~.8, rear is about 1.5-1.6 iirc. The box was made this way because more than just a sealed box was wanted, so we tried to do this instead.

It's not port noise, it is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, when it comes to a sub making noise. The noise definitely appears to come from the sub itself. It appears to be the sub making noise, even while it's free airing while it's being place in the sub hole cutout, it'll start making the noise before it's all the way into the hole, from what I saw. I've never seen a sub do that before, personally. Even if the cone is firing into the ported chamber, it still makes the noise.

Yes and no @Buck re: even while free airing

when Sub in hand (free air), sub sounds fine, just needs an enclosure. Once sub nears the 4th order cut out, the closer it gets to sitting flush with the cut out, the speaker/port side of box starts making more of that noise. No clacking, it’s more of a distortion sound. Volume ranges from minimal to 20%, distortion plays throughout volume.

When I put it in a 5gl Home Depot bucket with 4pcs of 3/4” plywood to clear magnet and so it sits flush, the sub sounds good, regarding no distortion. I’ve put the volume near 50% and no distortion.

through the whole trouble shoot, I have not changed any settings on stock HU eq or LC2iPro, only volume.

Not sure if these quick vids load.
1st is in 4th order with cone chamber open (door not mounted).

2nd video is in the new JL stealth Home Depot bucket (Lol).

note, I will be deleting these YouTube vids in a few days.

Last edited:
Gcon is out of stock till April. I talked with Aaron a couple weeks ago. The motors they got in were all wrong and had to be sent back. So the build house had to build all new sets of motors for them hence why they are out of stock till then.

Thats the difference from having a solid stable foundation(the wood) and the noisy unstable flimsy plastic vibration and flexability of the structure/stability of the foundation we all experience in all vehicles these days. PLASTICS!!

Thats the difference from having a solid stable foundation(the wood) and the noisy unstable flimsy plastic vibration and flexability of the structure/stability of the foundation we all experience in all vehicles these days. PLASTICS!!

not understanding what you mean. If you are referring to the box material, I used Birch from a lumber yard, 5 or 6 ply @119.99 per 4x8 sheet.

I'm an AB fan. This is their new line. 800 watts rms. 170 oz. magnets.
I had another thread but not sure where it went...

2021 Tahoe and looking to keep everything stock. No HO Alt, no second batt etc...all stock as possible.

recently I got a 13” JL shallow mount and let’s just say it’s not working out. I wanted to get the FI Audio SSD 12 but they are out of stock

ive been browsing the FS section and nothing jumps out at me in terms of used subs.

*Small port box is a must
amp is a SAZ1000.1 w/LC2iPro

I do not plan on buying and testing multiple brands so give me your top subunder 1k rms!

Thank you!

Screenshot_20210127-161130_Chrome.jpg

Not sure if these quick vids load.
1st is in 4th order with cone chamber open (door not mounted).

2nd video is in the new JL stealth Home Depot bucket (Lol).

note, I will be deleting these YouTube vids in a few days.

It may be a bad sub. I am currently using two 13tw5-4 in a 1.6 cubes sealed enclosure and they hit hard with zero distortion.
What audiobaun means is that a flexing bucket absorbs the energy that makes the sub distort, as opposed to the solid birch. As for the subs, they are desinged strictly for sealed small enclosures.
Capture+_2021-02-04-13-48-39.png

Come to think of it, one of my sub's logo fell off and the cone had a hole in the center. You can test a loose logo by removing the magnet via 8 allen bolts, and poking the logo from behind. To re-insert magnet, you will need to tap it with a rubber mallet. As careful as I tried mounting it, it still went off center and got stuck.

I’d send it back or see if your dealer will swap it out for a new one. Worst case, you pay for shipping but at least you’ll know for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.