My system lost all its bass after switching to a more powerful head unit

Participant count
  • Participants list

aoojf

CarAudio.com Newbie
So, I was rocking a pretty cheap kenwood head unit before and everything worked well and had somewhat good bass. Then I bought a Sony MEX-GS820BT head unit and installed it by just unclipping the old one and its harness and putting the new harness + HU in (and the rca cables that run to my alpine subwoofer amp). Everything clipped in with one exception. There was a blue wire (had a name p. cont on one side and ant cont on the other) attached to the old harness that went through some plastic piece and down under the dash somewhere. I just read somewhere it was only needed for some antenna motor or something so I just disconnected the wire so I could get the new HU in. Now I have a clear audio but with no bass. If I crank it up and put all the settings in favor of bass I can hear just a little bit of bass.
So, what could be the problem? Hard to imagine polarity being the issue because it worked well before and I only swapped the HU. Or could it be the blue wire or something else? I'm pretty new to car audio so please enlighten me.

Haven't ruined anything. Just go see if the amp is turning on or not. Pretty sure P con would be remote turn on and Ant con would be power antenna but its been quite a while since I've installed a headunit.

Haven't ruined anything. Just go see if the amp is turning on or not. Pretty sure P con would be remote turn on and Ant con would be power antenna but its been quite a while since I've installed a headunit.
Ok so here's the situation. I reconnected the blue wire back into the old harness and I was thinking of just using the old harness with the new HU altogether. But the problem is that the pins are on different locations on the two harnessess so I guess they can't be interchangeable. I also thought of wiring the blue wire thing with the grey plastic block onto the new harness where there is already a blue-and-white wire. But the thing is, my new HU has a built-in amplifier (or so I have heard) and if I replaced that blue-white wire on the new harness would it eliminate the built-in amp of the HU? For clarification, the new harness is the one I'm holding in hand and old one is sticking out of the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_165838.jpg
    IMG_20190723_165838.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20190723_165919.jpg
    IMG_20190723_165919.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 170
Looks connected from your first picture. Is your Alpine amp turning on? Subwoofer setting is probably turned off on the headunit.
Yeah I connected the blue wire that I earlier disconnected (probably what was causing the lack of bass) into the old kenwood's harness (or to the grey-orange block in the middle of the wire where I first had pulled it out of). However I can't connect the old harness into my Sony HU because the pins aren't in right order and one connector broke. So I could only use the new harness but that blue wire that I need to get in the new sony's harness is connected to the old harness. And the bass isn't there when using only the new harness without the blue wire thing shown in the first picture.

The remote wiring going to your alpine amp wont be in a harness. It's a standalone wire that runs to the amp terminal and connects to the blue remote wiring coming from the headunit harness.

The remote wiring going to your alpine amp wont be in a harness. It's a standalone wire that runs to the amp terminal and connects to the blue remote wiring coming from the headunit harness.
Okay, so I just split the blue wire in which I connect the amp wire?
I'm no expert so I thank you for answering everything nicely :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.