My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

How much do those Hybrid Audio U2's cost?????? Like I said... If I go three way I will be powering either the tweeters or small mids off a hidden amplifier, my RF Punch 250a2.
I don't recall exactly. But pretty sure they were < $200 for the pair. Quite reasonable for HAT.

Also... Audible Physics makes a kick ass 2" but I couldn't find the link for it. About the same price as the HAT

That's not bad at all for a known quality speaker brand. Like you said... I have the DSP already. I have never owned a 3-way set-up. Mounting diameter and depth are all I need to know behind the panel itself so... I will know soon.

So I stumbled across this picture on a G6 forum. This guy put a 6.5" Silver Flute mid in the bottom and a 1" tweeter in the space above it... Judging by the size of the tweeter, that opening should fit a 3.5" speaker... right? What do you all think?

Monsoon.jpg

Made my first payment on the car. I helped the guy out, the guy that is selling me the car. He was in a bind so I threw some cash at him to hold him over till he gets his first paycheck from his new job. Man he just started talking about the car and apparently he is the original owner. Told me how when he bought it new in '08 he made sure he got everything he could think of... the leather, the heated seats, sunroof, premium Monsoon sound system, remote start, blah blah blah. He told me about the recalls and how they have all been fixed.... other than minor exterior cosmetics, the car is great.

Nice! Some Aurasound NS-3’s would go nicely in that tweeter hole. Or some Tang Band bamboos.
I have some speakers picked out and I will finalize them as soon as the car is here and I can get the door panels off and measure depth for each speaker location. I did come across my brand new... well new when I bought them like almost three years ago, IDQ65CS components. I bought them for my ex-girlfriends oldest son who joined the Air force. I thought I gave them to him but there they were, buried in the bottom, back of my closet still in the factory box. I have never even listened to them but the salesman said they are "Phenomenal". It wouldn't hurt to try them out and hear how they sound... They are Image Dynamic's after all.

Ok... it is time to get some info and start the planning!!! @shredder2 this is what I have to work with. What specifically and exactly do you recommend for this exact setup? I want to do a single slot port. I listen to bass music with frequencies from the mid 20's and up (20% of the time) to all other music (80% of the time) up to 70ish hertz (Drums, Kick Drums, Bass Guitar, Piano, Jazz Instruments and Acoustic Instruments). I will run the Dayton single 10 all by itself powered by the US Acoustics Mike amplifier. This is not about loud but I imagine that will be a welcome side effect of the sub/amp combo. I want the sub centered on the baffle facing the rear of the trunk with a max of 14in tall from floor to top of the enclosure. I have the skills to build the enclosure with bracing and 45's. Rear deck 6x9 speakers will be removed. Amps will be on an amp rack. I now have all of the specs and they are as follows:

1. Pontiac G6 GT Coupe -

Interior Dimensions
    Passenger Volume (ft³) 90.1
    Cargo Area Dimensions

Trunk Volume (ft³) 12.0

2. Subwoofer - Dayton Audio UM10-22

Impedance

2+2 ohms

Re

3.2 ohms

Le

1.28 mH @ 1 kHz

Fs

26.9 Hz

Qms

Qes

Qts

Mms

227g

Cms

0.15 mm/N

Sd

327.8 cm²

Vd

622.8 cm³

BL

14.5 Tm

Vas

23.5 liters

Xmax

19 mm

VC Diameter

63.5 mm

SPL

84.8 dB @ 2.83V/1m

RMS Power Handling

500 watts

3. Amp - US Acoustics Mike 1500w RMS @ 1ohm - I will be running at 1ohm and there will be a second battery in the trunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will start in the trunk and work up to the head unit. Build the sub box (Special thanks to shredder2 for the box design) then build the amp rack and battery mount. Run speaker wires to the doors... you know... the 100ft each red/black and blue/black 12awg ofc speaker wire that I still have to figure out which color to run. I still have to figure out where I will mount the 3Sixty.3 as well. I am thinking of doing a suspended amp rack from the rear deck. I can see it in my head but you know how that goes.

I was talking to one my neighbors earlier about an install needed in a 2000 dodge xcab diesel truck for a friend/co-worker,that ill take a look at this Tuesday.He has a white 07 G-6 coupe that he is thinking about keeping and wanting to put a system in possibly this coming summer. Im following the build thread here and getting some information as well with the HU/existing HU.I havent been inside the vehicle yet to look inside or anything.We were talking on the phone, and he said he gets about 24 mpg out of it compared to his old caviler that he has been using for work only that gets about 32, and needs to be put to rest with almost 450k on it/5sp.We did his 07 xcab truck and he is still enjoying that system.Thanks for the info here.. Ill tune in quite a bit as it continues.There is always something to learn from others

Apparently those are pretty reliable cars. He said the oil filter is in a weird location, and may order an oil filter relocation kit like from Jegs or? if he can find one to make it a little more easy to get to.Pretty nice cars though.

I was talking to one my neighbors earlier about an install needed in a 2000 dodge xcab diesel truck for a friend/co-worker,that ill take a look at this Tuesday.He has a white 07 G-6 coupe that he is thinking about keeping and wanting to put a system in possibly this coming summer. Im following the build thread here and getting some information as well with the HU/existing HU.I havent been inside the vehicle yet to look inside or anything.We were talking on the phone, and he said he gets about 24 mpg out of it compared to his old caviler that he has been using for work only that gets about 32, and needs to be put to rest with almost 450k on it/5sp.We did his 07 xcab truck and he is still enjoying that system.Thanks for the info here.. Ill tune in quite a bit as it continues.There is always something to learn from others
My build will be slow going but I know it is ALL stock right now. A Monsoon factory system with the (DIC) drivers information center built into the head unit. I will not be keeping the factory head unit, I will be using the non eXcelon DD - DMX7705S head unit and utilizing the PAC Audio dash kit that allows the DIC to be retained with a remote mounted display. Rear deck speakers will be removed, a single Dayton Audio Ultimax 10" in the trunk, amps mounted on a rack, RF 3Sixty.3, all ofc wiring, KnuKoncepts Krystal RCA's, secondary battery, big 4 upgrade, active front stage.

Apparently those are pretty reliable cars. He said the oil filter is in a weird location, and may order an oil filter relocation kit like from Jegs or? if he can find one to make it a little more easy to get to.Pretty nice cars though.
Mine is weird... I will be the second owner... but it has the GXP front grill and bumper as well as side skirts. Something to do with a "street package" or Appearance Package" I don't know but it will be getting the hammerhead rear spoiler via ME!! lol. Oh and it has the 18" Wheels, Black leather heated seats with the moonroof and remote start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...