My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

Yeah, some say center of car some say in front of the driver... I think it's preference on center image. Personally, I want the singer in front of me, just like a concert.
I don't agree. Well, yeah i guess some will prefer that, but it doesnt come down to preference. One is correct, and one isnt. When you properly delay your signal, eq all drivers to the same response and match their levels to a T, center image will be in the center of the car. In order to move the center, you have to mess up your now-correctly tuned system. Best way is with levels, but if you do this, your soundstage turns to **** just to make one portion of the music to sound like its in front of you. I have customers tell me all the time that they want this. I give them two presets. all things the same except center is shifted. Never once have i had one not say "yeah, center in the center of the dash is better" later on.

Hmmm.

To shift the "center image" to the right and place it center of the dash would mean everything on the left side would also shift to the right. There is no way to move just the male or female vocals and not affect all the other sound right?

I am measuring from the speakers to my left and right ears making the circle of sound around my head which makes center in front of me by default. Literally my goal is to make the stereo sound as if I have the left side speakers mounted outside the car, the same distance away that my right speakers are... see example image 1a.

If I read you correctly, what you are saying is correct imaging is example image 2b. Forgive the right hand drive image, just flip it lol. It has the center of the car as the center of the soundstage which again, puts the singer to one side... I don't know why people call this a true center image. It should be called a true skewed offset center image. To make it actually centered, I would have to rotate in my seat to face the center by several degrees. Like going to a concert and sitting to one side of the stage. Again, my opinion is that the sound should be front and center. If I am at home, I sit directly in the middle of my speakers... not to the left at an angle.

My understanding of the DSP is to align the speaker so you are in the middle of the sound. If you have to twist your body to center the dash... that defeats the purpose right?

1a.

2b.

Thats not how it works. Your left and right boundaries are dictated by the speaker locations and the reflections that are associated with them. Sometimes you can get cues that make it sound like its a *LITTLE* bit outside of the car, but no, you will never have a car that has a center image in front of you that has equal distance between left and center and right and center unless the seat is in the middle of the car. Center is center of the stage, which will almost always be center of the car. If you tune properly, this is where it will end up. If your center is ending up somewhere else, your tune isn't correct and there are at least 3 other things that are compromised in order to have that center image location. Dont do it. It doesnt sound good.

Thats not how it works. Your left and right boundaries are dictated by the speaker locations and the reflections that are associated with them. Sometimes you can get cues that make it sound like its a *LITTLE* bit outside of the car, but no, you will never have a car that has a center image in front of you that has equal distance between left and center and right and center unless the seat is in the middle of the car. Center is center of the stage, which will almost always be center of the car. If you tune properly, this is where it will end up. If your center is ending up somewhere else, your tune isn't correct and there are at least 3 other things that are compromised in order to have that center image location. Dont do it. It doesnt sound good.
Basically what I am hoping for is wishful thinking and is physically limited to where the speakers are mounted. That makes sense... so at that point the only option I have is elevation and distance. This is easy enough to do with the DSP as I play with it from time to time.

I know I can elevate the left side with more or less treble/mids and I know I can push the sound forward (out to the hood) with volume "creating" distance. I am assuming I can do this better by EQing each speaker individually? So far everything you have said hasn't steered me wrong, which is why they call you a professional ;) any tips on frequencies or + or - db's to do it right?

No, you cannot "create" elevation and distance. Its ALL depending and limited by the speaker and its location, and the reflections. getting the stage high is easy. At minimum you need higher frequencies up top and they just need to be in phase with the lower frequency drivers. Width is the next easiest to simulate due to reflections. But depth is almost impossible. You hear people say "that car stages out on the hood" or something similar to that. I've yet to hear a car that actually sounds like the center image, or any other part of the sound stage for that matter, actually sound like they're coming from past the windshield without lying to myself.

So long story short, install your speakers in good locations in a way that doesnt cause issues (rattles, bad comb filtering, etc), and tune them appropriately, then enjoy your center image in the center of the car with a proportionately spaced soundstage.

No, you cannot "create" elevation and distance. Its ALL depending and limited by the speaker and its location, and the reflections. getting the stage high is easy. At minimum you need higher frequencies up top and they just need to be in phase with the lower frequency drivers. Width is the next easiest to simulate due to reflections. But depth is almost impossible. You hear people say "that car stages out on the hood" or something similar to that. I've yet to hear a car that actually sounds like the center image, or any other part of the sound stage for that matter, actually sound like they're coming from past the windshield without lying to myself.

So long story short, install your speakers in good locations in a way that doesnt cause issues (rattles, bad comb filtering, etc), and tune them appropriately, then enjoy your center image in the center of the car with a proportionately spaced soundstage.
You're killin' me man!!

I can move the tweeters back to the A-Pillars... that's the best I can do if I want to mess with it more. Right now I have bigger problems. I forgot to remove the door panel and fix the connection on my drivers side silverflute. She's cuttin in and out over bumps some times. Stupid spade connections!!!

I have no fuses for my amplifiers. I have but one Stinger 300a circuit breaker under the hood that I defeat when I work on the system. On the way back from my last delivery... tell me how this happens, I am bumping D.J. Magic Mike at literally max volume and bass at max via my 3Sixty.3's twin remote knob, and suddenly silence. The head unit is still playing as I can see it counting the seconds on the track. No lights on the knob. No lights on either amp or the DSP. After my return I discovered it tripped the 300a breaker. No way this system pulls 300 amps. No way. The 1200-1D prime amp max draw is 110 amps on a sine wave so that leaves 190 amps to be drawn from the Barbara Ann... I don't think so.

Dig this. I also found out that my sub is only getting half the signal with stereo sub bass. I have been noticing that my bass seems lacking on some songs where it really hit hard before. Then I confirmed this when I was listening to N.W.A.'s "If it ain't ruff" track on Straight Outta Compton for the first time in a long time. This track has reversed bass and I am very familiar with it. When the first bass note hit it was not on beat today. I went WTF? right away. It took me about four bass notes to go "WHERE IS THE REST OF THE SONG???"

When I got home I played the track on my computer and sure enough, my Yamaha active servo sub is playing all the bass notes. So now I have to hook up the laptop to the DSP. I am pretty sure I am summing one rear channel to make my sub output. SMH.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...