Moving/broken stuff inside my capacitor..

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 29, 2019
Hello,
So i had to do some changes in my system and noticed that my capacitor has some stuff inside that is moving/broken when i shake it.
I have heard some stories about those capacitors that they are dangerous, but mine works really good and believe it or not it actually gives my sub more power and gives stable 14.4 power to my amp at any volume.
I have it for about 3 years and its still working good, but the things that i heard moving inside is i guess not good and i should replace it?

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 29, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think i can open it, didn't see any screws, i guess i need some how to open the top of it but i dont think i should because i surly will brake something..

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
place it on a hard surface and hit the side of it with a hammer... the top piece should pop off giving you access to the inside 🤭

Deiimos

CarAudio.com Regular
Apr 27, 2021
What capacitor is it exactly? Is it something in the capacitor body itself rattling? Or does it have a voltmeter on top with something rattling in that section?
Either way, might be easier to just get a new one.

• Thanks
Reactions: audiobaun

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 29, 2019
Its soundbox 2.5 farad, im positive that its inside of the capacitor itself.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
Probably the concrete inside.. 👀

Deiimos

CarAudio.com Regular
Apr 27, 2021
I do kind of wonder what is in there.

Aside from dissecting it, probably easiest to get a new one, or just keep using it if you feel you want to and don't care if it vents or catches fire, etc. (hard to say what it could do if it has a problem at all). If you replace it, could probably take the old volt meter off and save it for later use.

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
Taking a risk by opening it up. There is a reason why they are sealed. If you do not have experiences with them I wouldnt recommend exposing the internals. You could loose your eye sight, burn your skin ect. Id toss it /recycle it properly and just get a small XS battery in its place

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
I don't think i can open it, didn't see any screws, i guess i need some how to open the top of it but i dont think i should because i surly will brake something..
To clarify, I do not suggest to open the actual cylinder/s. I meant the voltmeter housing, which from experience, I know it can safely be taken off. Buuut, also from experience, the cylinders are exactly like the small capacitors. Rolled aluminum and paper sandwiching a paste or oily substance. They are solid inside; nothing to become loose and rattle in there. Like always, safety first. If you are not comfortable with it, dump it.

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 29, 2019
Ok i guess I will replace it, the reason im not using xs battery is because i dont know from where to get them in my country, so i just bought a cap..

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 29, 2019
The cap is probably loose inside.
I guess the stuff i hear inside is probably the black material whatever is it, makes sense it really sounds like that (like plenty of sand inside), so do I really need to replace it tho?

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
I guess the stuff i hear inside is probably the black material whatever is it, makes sense it really sounds like that (like plenty of sand inside), so do I really need to replace it tho?
Id toss it/take it to a recycle place and get even a small AGM battery in its place

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
Its your System, Your Vehicle and all the respect.. Your Decision

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.