Midrange or Midbass? Or, Both?

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
I'm getting ready to install my whole system. I have 4-6.5" midrange drivers to be installed. I was wondering if I should dump two of the midrange drivers and get two midbass drivers? The amp is a Taramps DS800x4 for 8 total speakers, approximately 100 watts to each. I will be using the Dayton DSP-408 processor. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you do a midbass it'll need to be seperately from the midrange for any rear wave cancellation issues.

The Dayton has 8 channels. So, my thought process was two channels for the tweeters, one channel for thel midrange, one channel for the midbass, two channels empty, and two channels for the sub. Midbass in the door and midrange on a deck in the rear. I'm single, 50, and divorced. So, I have a lot of time to think/over think stuff. I was just thinking it would give my system a wider range of frequencies. These Daytons look nice and get down to 36hz. and are 4 ohm.

Attachments

• 20191107_064634.jpg
    20191107_064634.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191107_064714.jpg
    20191107_064714.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 203
Can’t comment on the drivers proposed but like all things the main contributors on here say, the Work you put in is going to make the difference more than the equipment you select. I half assed trying to seal my doors the output wasn’t what I hoped but I just wasnt committed to the project like I should have been. Heard Strang’s midbass (done right) and it almost made me like hardcore metal. Also, it’s been recommended that in addition to proper seal that you have to put a significant amount of power to a driver since you’re setting the frequency range so narrowly.

Sorry for the cool story, my point was If you do it don’t be a wanker like I was and fully commit to your door treatment. Also a review of qts will be good for your efforts.

1 of the other threads has the list of speakers etc. Iirr it was the same pioneer line you originally where going to use.
He also said in another thread he was a audiophile so idk may be mistaken on which pioneer speakers they are.

Are you using pioneer pro series? They don’t sound half bad in my brothers car. They are far from being audiophile quality though. they claim the frequency response goes down into the 30s, but you’d probably need sealed pods to actually get anything that didn’t sound like low frequency flatulence.

Are you using pioneer pro series? They don’t sound half bad in my brothers car. They are far from being audiophile quality though. they claim the frequency response goes down into the 30s, but you’d probably need sealed pods to actually get anything that didn’t sound like low frequency flatulence.

Yes, the Pioneer Pro 6.5" mids and the 3.5" tweets. I was just thinking of changing two of the midrange speakers (50-18k) for two midbass speakers. Is it normal that a 6.5" midrange goes all the way to 18k? It seems high to me. I did say, "audiophile on a budget" in a previous post, which is pretty much an oxymoron. Got my ride back from upholstery today.
123_1(9).jpeg
20191107_121630.jpg
20191107_121751.jpg

So, with 4 3.5" tweets and 4 6.5" mids that play that high, should I replace two midrange with two midbass, replace two tweets with midbass, or leave it alone?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.