midrange and tweeters? a few questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

u160712

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am very new to car audio. Recently I had a crunch 1400watt 4 channel amplifier put in, along with 2 12inch JBL subs. They are used subs and my friend had them before me. They sounded 10x louder in his old car than they do in mine. So I'm not too sure about that. More importantly, I am looking to buy some speakers from prv audio and I am looking at getting 2 6inch mid ranges along with 2 super tweeters for the front doors. Would that be a good setup considering what I have right now? Would I need passive or active crossovers? Do I need another amplifier for the speakers? Should I upgrade from the factory stereo? On crutchfield.com it says that 6.5 and 6.75 front door speakers fit but prv only has 6inch speakers from what I've seen. Overall, I have lots of questions cuz I'm a complete noob. I hope some of these can be answered by you guys. Thanks. Btw the car is a 2014 Buick Regal.

I am very new to car audio. Recently I had a crunch 1400watt 4 channel amplifier put in, along with 2 12inch JBL subs. They are used subs and my friend had them before me. They sounded 10x louder in his old car than they do in mine. So I'm not too sure about that. More importantly, I am looking to buy some speakers from prv audio and I am looking at getting 2 6inch mid ranges along with 2 super tweeters for the front doors. Would that be a good setup considering what I have right now? Would I need passive or active crossovers? Do I need another amplifier for the speakers? Should I upgrade from the factory stereo? On crutchfield.com it says that 6.5 and 6.75 front door speakers fit but prv only has 6inch speakers from what I've seen. Overall, I have lots of questions cuz I'm a complete noob. I hope some of these can be answered by you guys. Thanks. Btw the car is a 2014 Buick Regal.

PRV 6" speakers are actually 6.5" (166mm)

You would need active crossovers.

Yes you need an amp for them.

Yes you should upgrade your factory stereo

You should replace that 4 channel amp on your subwoofers with a monoblock amp and use the 4 channel for your speakers.

If you need anything hit up Julio Mendez in Jacksonville. He does good work and knows his ****.

PRV 6" speakers are actually 6.5" (166mm)

You would need active crossovers.

Yes you need an amp for them.

Yes you should upgrade your factory stereo

You should replace that 4 channel amp on your subwoofers with a monoblock amp and use the 4 channel for your speakers.

If you need anything hit up Julio Mendez in Jacksonville. He does good work and knows his ****.
[/URL]
That was really helpful thank you. I'll hit him up. Passive crossovers wouldn't cut it, I'd need active one?

That was really helpful thank you. I'll hit him up. Passive crossovers wouldn't cut it, I'd need active one?

You will have a very hard time finding passive crossovers with the correct crossover points for pro audio mids and tweeters. Active is just much easier and easy to change points.

You will have a very hard time finding passive crossovers with the correct crossover points for pro audio mids and tweeters. Active is just much easier and easy to change points.
One more question. If I were to get a different brand than prv for my mono amp and crossover thats perfectly okay right? It wont make a difference?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.