MDF rings for fiberglass???

smullen
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
St. Louis
OK I saw and posted in a thread about what everyone thinks is the best tool to use for cutting rings...

Now I wanna talk about doing it...

From what I have seen/done you have to make 2 rings for each speaker; a top ring and a bottom ring....

My quetions are, do all Subs (of the same size, 6.5"-8"-10"-12"-15") have pretty much the same size mounting hole and total outside diameter???

Does anyone have a list for each size driver?

I have some 6.5"s, 10"s, 12"s and 15"s so I am thiniking about making a bunch of MDF rings when I get time and keeping all the specs written down...

I was wondering if anyone already had this done???

First you don't need two rings, just one. I'm not too sure but In my experience there are slight differences in mounting diameter of same size different manufacture subs. Yeah I make several sets when I get around to making them. if there is a difference it's usually just slightly and can be adjusted with a little sanding. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

First you don't need two rings, just one. I'm not too sure but In my experience there are slight differences in mounting diameter of same size different manufacture subs. Yeah I make several sets when I get around to making them. if there is a difference it's usually just slightly and can be adjusted with a little sanding. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Interesting.. I'm sure you could do it either way, but all the stuff I have seen people post on the net in their how toos and even the video I just bought it shows 2 Rings, an bottom that the woofer actually mounts too and then a top on that goes on top of that that the woofer sits in and makes it flush. The top one is also the one you staple the material (fiberglass, sweatshirt material, grill cloth, etc...) too, then aplly your resin too... Which also give you the couter sunk sub or speaker look...
Here are a couple of (big ) pics of how I put the rings together... They are not really mounted, but just sitting on some blocks to see how the 6.5"s will look and fit...

http://teamxratedstl.com/Scotts/MDFrings/

I don't even know if I will use those for anything really... I just made them playing around to see what I could do... I want to do some door panels for my Blazer, but I don't think i'm brave enough...

Anyway, I will play around some more when I get more time...

I have a 10" JL sub laying around that I might play with as another temp box when I pull out my current stuff to sell it, to help pay for some new stuff....

I'm a lazy beyatch with a large stock pile of 1" mdf //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I usually just use the router to make the sub sit flush //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.