LTO bank vs LiFeP04 for daily system

Does the load resistor function as a voltage divider? Sounds like a lot of wasted energy.
Does "gets grumpy" mean check engine light?
What I'm getting at is a tuner could correct many of the ecu's gripes. More money, but I'm not a fan of tricking the ecu.

Haha, I've already spent thousands on performance upgrades and ECU flashes. the ECU has a voltage regulator inside it. Kinda like a regulated amp. It should work fine from 10-16v but mine is old and the car starts to have random misfires around 15v. Best I can tell the internal Regulator can't cope with the extra voltage. Keep in mind VWs charge at about 13.8-14v. I can simply add a resistor in-line with the 12v source for the ECU to lower the incoming voltage so the ECU doesn't freak out.

Matt

Haha, I've already spent thousands on performance upgrades and ECU flashes. the ECU has a voltage regulator inside it. Kinda like a regulated amp. It should work fine from 10-16v but mine is old and the car starts to have random misfires around 15v. Best I can tell the internal Regulator can't cope with the extra voltage. Keep in mind VWs charge at about 13.8-14v. I can simply add a resistor in-line with the 12v source for the ECU to lower the incoming voltage so the ECU doesn't freak out.

Matt
...so you need a new ecu? Series resistor is either to lower current or divide voltage.

I figured you would get defensive/insecure if i offered technical advice. I'll leave your thread alone. Good luck.

...so you need a new ecu? Series resistor is either to lower current or divide voltage.

I figured you would get defensive/insecure if i offered technical advice. I'll leave your thread alone. Good luck.

Technically I need to have the internal Regulator replaced, but considering it's cheaper to buy an ECU for 350-400, send it to get the immobilizer disabled for another 30, and then reflash it with my tune that would be the route to go. I'm not sure how it actually works internally, all I know is people smarter than me found a cheaper solution with a some kind of resistor, a potentiometer, and some other crap that solves the issue for a few bucks.

However, I'll be going to a fuel tech ECU at some point so I'd rather not spend the money, or rather I'd just get a standalone for another few hundred bux.

I'm usually open to technical advice as long as it's sound. In this particular case I've been modifying and working with the mk4 Era Volkswagens and their slightly more elderly audi brethren using this style of ecu/electrical. The ME7 and ME7.5 are pretty solid performers, but they have some annoying bits like not having a fuse on the 02 sensor wiring. If you happen to rip your 02 harness and short them, you fry the throttle control circuit. So replacing the 02 will let the car run fine again, but you can't control the throttle anymore, lol.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...