Loudest with 1500w

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2019
ND
I currently run a Kicker 15" L7 in a vented box and a Kicker Zx1500.1. I want it louder. I do not want to pay for a more powerful amp, but I would like the loudest sub and box with the given wattage. Am I better off with 2 12" L7's? 2 15's? Give me your recommendations for best SPL on 1500 watts. Must fit in the back of a '10 Explorer.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I currently run a Kicker 15" L7 in a vented box and a Kicker Zx1500.1. I want it louder. I do not want to pay for a more powerful amp, but I would like the loudest sub and box with the given wattage. Am I better off with 2 12" L7's? 2 15's? Give me your recommendations for best SPL on 1500 watts. Must fit in the back of a '10 Explorer.
Willing to bet the box you have that 15 l7 in is limiting 90% of its performance

Reactions: x_Lite_x

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Well Known
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Doesn't the 15 L7 need around 6 CUBES? with the port displacement, I remember doing boxes 15 years back for those and the boxes were massive.

OP
J

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2019
ND
Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like the consensus is the box is my limiting factor. The box I have is a "Q Bomb" pre-fab; https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rqb15sq/ . Is that box limiting output? Are there better pre-fab boxes out there? I know the best option would be to build one, but I am not very good with carpentry, and I'm even worse at completing projects.

02WS6

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
Any reputable shops in your area? Maybe price out what it would cost to have them build one for you?

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like the consensus is the box is my limiting factor. The box I have is a "Q Bomb" pre-fab; https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rqb15sq/ . Is that box limiting output? Are there better pre-fab boxes out there? I know the best option would be to build one, but I am not very good with carpentry, and I'm even worse at completing projects.
You need a box something like this. If you are set on going pre-fab (not recommended), at least try to match your sub. Get a piece of 3/4" and cut your square hole. Just make sure it's installed right.
20200114_164117.jpg
20200114_164148.jpg

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
His box is too small and he doesn't want to build one. Just giving the guy real World advice. The sub calls for up to 6 cubic feet. So, this box is 5.5 cubic feet and built with 3/4" birch with a 1-1/2" baffle. So, as far as pre-fabs, it's built pretty solid. Dislike all you want, but some people don't have the time, know how, or budget to get a custom box built.

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
With the mdf, should i replace the front face or add a layer on top of the existing cutout?
A layer with the correct cutout on top. With that 15" being square, it requires more cubic feet than most 15" subs. Hence, the 18" air space is a very close match to what you need. A custom box would still be better though.

• Dislike
Reactions: fithwheel
OP
J

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2019
ND
His box is too small and he doesn't want to build one. Just giving the guy real World advice. The sub calls for up to 6 cubic feet. So, this box is 5.5 cubic feet and built with 3/4" birch with a 1-1/2" baffle. So, as far as pre-fabs, it's built pretty solid. Dislike all you want, but some people don't have the time, know how, or budget to get a custom box built.
Dislike without feedback is like saying "I hate you but I don't know why".

Thanks for your helpful response.

K.U.S.H. likely downvoted your comment because I disagreed with him on a different thread. I'm sorry for that. I upvoted you twice to help.

Dumb question: do you have any advice or links to help someone get better with carpentry?

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 28, 2018

K.U.S.H. likely downvoted your comment because I disagreed with him on a different thread. I'm sorry for that. I upvoted you twice to help.

Dumb question: do you have any advice or links to help someone get better with carpentry?
I've built houses for 35 years, so, it is in my blood. Get a tape measure with the 1/8"' and 1/4" marks to help you understand basic measuring. Look at box building designs and try to comprehend them. Box building is basically making a jigsaw puzzle. You cut all of the puzzle pieces and then assemble them. I'm not a box building expert by any stretch. I made mistakes building my box (first box) recently. Straight and square cuts are a must. Jigsaw, router, skil saw, drill, and table saw are some tools that you might need.
20191203_160809.jpg

• Dislike
Reactions: fithwheel

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Banging gears and passing queeers

Its nice that youre that self centered to think your ignorance of fact in another thread would lead to me to dislike someone elses post of an obviously poorly designed box. Construction might be ok but the fluid dynamics (airflow) is shit.

This place is a dumpster fire, I'm just going to sit back and let the blind lead the blind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 29)

• B
  • J

Trending topics

Latest classifieds