Northeast Region looking to get into SPL comp but can't find info

CT,DC,DE,MA,MD,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT,WV
^^^ Yea, I've been told before my system shouldn't be hitting that high on a legit meter, but I don't mind much either way. Not a serious spl guy. I just like loud musiq. What's funny is, the other guys like myself who don't take it serious, agree it has to be 150ish. I mean, you can barely smoke a cigarette when the bass is hitting, if it all. The guys who do take it serious always say no way! Meter was off! But I'm almost positive they say this because of mediocre subs/set up, instead of truly listening and feeling the system

Depends on if this was the old LED 'box' with the shotgun mic or the newer sensor they've recently discontinued.

The sensor reads pretty tight with TermLab - but yah, the old LED box is all over the place.

Eight 10" woofers in an SUV though, 150+ definitely doable.

the AC meter can be anywhere from a few tenths off to 7 or so DB off. gonna have to find a term lab and see

I have been competing for 6 years and have yet to see a 150 but I don't build one note wonder boxes all are daily drivers. I have done a 140 with a single 8 out of a trunk with a 300w amp but that was pure luck. Similar designed box with a 12 and 1500w only did a 144 but sounded worlds louder. Point is it takes a lot to get loud and way more than you think to get louder.
Speaking of getting loud, more of those nice spiders ARE being made and I'll have 2 for you whenever we can get to the same show. They're going to be 30 each though. Still a coupon price compared to similar options or the hassle of trying to stack 5 of something else to get as stiff.

^^^ Yea, I've been told before my system shouldn't be hitting that high on a legit meter, but I don't mind much either way. Not a serious spl guy. I just like loud musiq. What's funny is, the other guys like myself who don't take it serious, agree it has to be 150ish. I mean, you can barely smoke a cigarette when the bass is hitting, if it all. The guys who do take it serious always say no way! Meter was off! But I'm almost positive they say this because of mediocre subs/set up, instead of truly listening and feeling the system
It is nearly impossible that your setup is doing 150. Now if you said you've been testing and tweaking your box for months I might believe it, but there's virtually no way you got there with that equipment first try. People who go to a lot of competitions are telling you no way because they know from experience how hard it is to actually get loud and what loud is really like.

It is nearly impossible that your setup is doing 150. Now if you said you've been testing and tweaking your box for months I might believe it, but there's virtually no way you got there with that equipment first try. People who go to a lot of competitions are telling you no way because they know from experience how hard it is to actually get loud and what loud is really like.
He speaks the truth. Most won't admit it, but sometimes it takes dumb luck as well. I've jumped 6 dbs with just a drastic box change. I also gain .5 a db with my passenger side visor down... All vehicles are different, it isn't just the equipment you plop in them.

I'm trying not to be discouraging because we've all been there, but it's reality.

Please, for the love of God, DO NOT purchase any new equipment until you have gone to a show, got metered and actually seen what loud is and what it takes to get there, then you can decide if you're willing to invest the money and effort to compete seriously or if you just want to show up and hang out.
Yep. It's serious money to compete with the big boys as I found in SQ. Was a cakewalk in novice class until I went Florida just to cry as I found out that I was only "street-level" champion, go to a show and you'll see a civic breaking 160+dB... with a WALL of 15's, 12 tweeters, and 12 midrange in the doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.