looking for what you guys are running for sub amps?

I feel like if you follow the directions with them, then, you should be fine.
Meanwhile the guys who design/repair amps for a living say they're time bombs. Again, some people having good luck with them is not inconsistent with them being overall unreliable.

Keep in mind a lot of people abuse just about every amp out there and truth usually comes out in the wash with what gets the reputation for being bullet proof and what gets a reputation for being iffy.

2yr+ and counting... Over a yr at .5 too. I even popped both 500a fuses on the main runs once when I oopsied the power wiring at the amp. I beat the shizz outta mine, love clipping for an extra db and its mounted on the box (braced well)... This 4k puts out some decent power and takes my abuse in stride.

I sold my XTR2500 before I installed it. What are you running off of it. I have an AB HD15 that I was going to run off of it. Is it the beast that I thought it was? My electrical is limited on my 55 year old car. So, I sold it to het an MD3K.
I have it on two Deaf Bonce 15's rated at 1500wrms, and I'm pretty happy with it. I bought a two-year warranty for it through squaretrade, but no problems yet. I did have to add a fan under the seat to keep it out of thermal shutdown when i run it hard for a while. I think it would prefer another run of 1/0.

take JL out of the equation, throw morel, gladden, hybrid audio technologies, audiofrog and german maestro and scanspeak in the mix. JL speakers are low tier performance in general until you get to the C7s which are just okay, still loses out on every other brand's flagships that cost the same or cheaper.
Ah yeah Morel was the one I was thinking of while writing that but I didn't take the time to look up the name. I may go that route, depending on the prices. I'll have to look up Gladden and Hybrid Audio technologies. I always kinda figured audiofrog was on the same tier as JL, are all tiers of the company's lineup better for the price than JL? The ones I've been looking at for a while are these https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-woofers-mille-pro-mp165-3/ People seem to really like the Milles, so whatever I get will be in a similar price range.

I run korean fsd monoblocks (now audiolegion), a 2600 for my suv and a 1600 for my beater car. Would definitely like to transition to full bridge amps sooner than later to maximize my the extent of my limited electrical upgrade (slightly bigger alts, big 3, rear agm for both builds)

full bridge ftw!

Ah yeah Morel was the one I was thinking of while writing that but I didn't take the time to look up the name. I may go that route, depending on the prices. I'll have to look up Gladden and Hybrid Audio technologies. I always kinda figured audiofrog was on the same tier as JL, are all tiers of the company's lineup better for the price than JL? The ones I've been looking at for a while are these https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-woofers-mille-pro-mp165-3/ People seem to really like the Milles, so whatever I get will be in a similar price range.
millies are good I've heard a set from a guy that has no clue how to tune and it sound decent from the start so it has good potential, hertz, focal and stuff stay on the list. Audiofrog is a step up from JL at slightly less cost. For total sound quality though, i'd still have to rate scanspeak as top of the line performance wise mainly because of of the world MECA finalist love running the relevators in their ride and i havent heard anything top them yet or come close to. Focals require some work but I like the airiness and extension of their tweeters, lots of detail but can overwhelm if not tuned properly.

millies are good I've heard a set from a guy that has no clue how to tune and it sound decent from the start so it has good potential, hertz, focal and stuff stay on the list. Audiofrog is a step up from JL at slightly less cost. For total sound quality though, i'd still have to rate scanspeak as top of the line performance wise mainly because of of the world MECA finalist love running the relevators in their ride and i havent heard anything top them yet or come close to. Focals require some work but I like the airiness and extension of their tweeters, lots of detail but can overwhelm if not tuned properly.
Great info, I appreciate it and I'll add that response to my project file for next year. Since you're letting me pick you brain would you suggest different speakers for the rear than the front? I was thinking of maybe getting some small woofers in the back and full ranges in the doors. My doors are 90% of the sound, you hardly notice the back ones missing on fader yet they're the same exact speaker model. The rear baffle thing doesn't seem to be ideal at all for their performance. Would you say in order to get the most from them to get speakers that handle infinite baffle well or should I go as far as building them surrounds underneath? I've seen people do that to good effect, although never tried it myself.

Great info, I appreciate it and I'll add that response to my project file for next year. Since you're letting me pick you brain would you suggest different speakers for the rear than the front? I was thinking of maybe getting some small woofers in the back and full ranges in the doors. My doors are 90% of the sound, you hardly notice the back ones missing on fader yet they're the same exact speaker model. The rear baffle thing doesn't seem to be ideal at all for their performance. Would you say in order to get the most from them to get speakers that handle infinite baffle well or should I go as far as building them surrounds underneath? I've seen people do that to good effect, although never tried it myself.
i would not do anything to the rear at all if you want any kind of decent soundstage. Complete waste of time, money, and amplifier power.

My current amp is an Orion XTR2500.1dz. I've only been running it for four months, but so far so good. Williston Audio Labs' dyno video sold me on it. My last amp was a Kicker ZX1500.1, and I never thought I'd go bigger than that, so wise choice giving yourself the wiggle room.
i also watched that dyno and the reason i am considering them myself

i have been also researching the same and getting pretty much same results you are havent jumped yet on any of them but been researching what each are made with for the price seems like titaniim tweeters neo magnets etc etc so if you can find ones built with same materials for cheapest price should be about same sound i would think i looked into ct sounds for just that reason seems to be made with all the same as the heavy hitters but half the price but they dont actually make anything themselves so im torn on what to do but might be worth a shot for the money anyhow. for now i have some mb quart q series old school with an ads amp on its way to get me started anyhow

You've had yours for a few days and they haven't self destructed doesn't = they're reliable. Yes many failures are due to misuse or abuse but plenty are due to design shortcomings and poor quality control. They've come a long way but I would not consider them as reliable as the Korean half bridge stuff on the market. The fact that a lot of amp repair shops refuse to even work on them is telling.

I've had three Taramps installed since last November. I haven't had any problems and I only have a 95 amp alternator. So, 4,050 watts with a 95 amp alternator and two AGM's without a problem. I consider that pretty reliable.

i have been also researching the same and getting pretty much same results you are havent jumped yet on any of them but been researching what each are made with for the price seems like titaniim tweeters neo magnets etc etc so if you can find ones built with same materials for cheapest price should be about same sound i would think i looked into ct sounds for just that reason seems to be made with all the same as the heavy hitters but half the price but they dont actually make anything themselves so im torn on what to do but might be worth a shot for the money anyhow. for now i have some mb quart q series old school with an ads amp on its way to get me started anyhow
That is the case with a lot of things but I haven't yet explored that with speakers. From what I've noticed the materials are different enough that the specifications of the speakers are off. It seems like the most common thing that companies slack on is the voice coil, cooling, and the design testing. Two things that you can't really tell looking at it in a photo or the specs unless they share that sort of information. That's partially why I enjoy Hertz and Focal products, because they give more information about the characteristics of the speakers. The cheaper ones like Kicker never do that, even on their QS line which is in the same price range as many of hertz/focal gear.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.