Looking for advice on making a passenger van soundproof

Participant count
  • Participant list

pegnine

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask.

I've been searching far and wide for a mobile recording and practice solution. Essentially I want to make a reasonable amount of noise (say, playing rock music at a normal volume, playing acoustic guitar and singing, etc.) inside my van without being heard by anyone outside, even if they're standing a couple feet away. I'm much more worried about sound leaking out than sound coming in, want to get as close as possible to being in an isolation booth.

The only solution I found was to purchase one of these prefab isolation booths (https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-4872-s/) and bolt it to a raised roof van that can accommodate the height. It's around $5000, but the idea of having to deal with two sets of doors, a room within a room scenario, isn't all that appealing.

Is there any way to do a "conversion" directly on the van to achieve the same result without having to spend $5000 on a booth? Any advice would be appreciated, even suggestions on reading material or specialized forums to go to. I know virtually nothing about car audio at this point but am willing to learn. Would be starting from a passenger (not cargo) van with seats removed and would want any removed headliner or interior material to be put back at the end so it has a nice "living room" feeling. Also if this is a service that is offered by custom audio shops for maybe a couple thousand, would be willing to go that route as well.

Thank you for reading.

I don't know if the level of soundproof you want is possible in a passenger van while still making it retain it's usage an actual van.
You can sound proof it.
It would take a couple thousand dollars in sound deadener to do the the whole passenger area of a van but it wouldn't be recording studio level.
Not to mention the weight it would add to the van.
The windows are a problem too.
Maybe if you sealed off the back of the van but if you want it to be drivable then you have to stop at the front seats but then your back to the door within a door and the cost would be up there .

I don't know if the level of soundproof you want is possible in a passenger van while still making it retain it's usage an actual van.
You can sound proof it.
It would take a couple thousand dollars in sound deadener to do the the whole passenger area of a van but it wouldn't be recording studio level.
Not to mention the weight it would add to the van.
The windows are a problem too.
Maybe if you sealed off the back of the van but if you want it to be drivable then you have to stop at the front seats but then your back to the door within a door and the cost would be up there .

Thank you for your response. Would you say it would be more possible in a cargo van? I'm not opposed to sealing off the driver's compartment from the back, as long as there isn't a full on room built into the back. It seems like the sound deadener products like Dynamat, Noico, etc. have a level of sound reduction that's less than what I'm looking for.

While keeping factory looks. I don't think that is going to happen.

What about an enclosed trailer?

Hmm I have considered this but interior access from the driver's compartment and not having to tow would be ideal. Also worried about ventilation especially if inside there for hours at a time. If the passenger van is unrealistic, I'm definitely open to a box cutaway van w/ interior access or cargo van type situation.

The products designed for cars are not really going to do what you want them too
I'm mean there good but there not designed to do what you want
If you used a cargo van you would basically have to build a box back there but your talking about a lot of work and money
Cheaper/easier way to do it would be the trailer

Thank you everyone. After lots of consideration I decided to look for a high roof cargo van such as a Chevy Express or Ford Econoline with an additional budget of around $5000 for the soundproofing project. Hoping to find a good car audio place willing to work with me on this.

Thank you everyone. After lots of consideration I decided to look for a high roof cargo van such as a Chevy Express or Ford Econoline with an additional budget of around $5000 for the soundproofing project. Hoping to find a good car audio place willing to work with me on this.
Where are you located?

Where are you located?

Hi, just saw this, my apologies.
I'm in southern CA currently and will be relocating to WA in June so anywhere on the west coast is fair game.
Van will likely be a Ford E-series, aiming to do insulation and soundproofing (and possibly electricity) at the same time, if a shop is willing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...