Line out Converter not getting enough power issues

Sparky1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, sorry if this is not the correct section, but i have been having an issue with my aftermarket car amp.

Few days back i was putting something in the trunk, accidently pushing the sub and amp back, causing the power and ground cords to come off. The cords touched causing a spark. Now the amp will not turn on.

I dont know a whole lot about this, but heres few things ive checked.

Used a multimeter, checked power cord that connects to battery, reading approx 12 volts. So fuse near battery seems good.
Checked the ground connection of ground wire, seems good.
Took amp apart, nothing burnt inside, doesnt seem to be dead visually.

Heres where i ran into the issue, the remote turn on wire is reading 2.5 to 3 volts. Ive read this is suppose to be 12 volts to be able to turn on amp when car turns on.

Ive tried tracing back to the LOC under the steering wheel ( this is where its installed for my car) Tested connection there, still reads the same voltage. Checked mostly all fuses to where this loc may be connected to. All are in working order.

Checked fuses by the engine itself, no issues there. (amp fuse, ect)

Used multimeter again on some wires in that fuse box, 1 seems to read 2.5 to 3 volts again. Others read 12 volts.

Not sure what to do at this point. I then tried to look into maybe damage relay ?

What else could cause this, what could i do to try and not spend money on new parts as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

What else could cause this, what could i do to try and not spend money on new parts as much as possibl
The radios I currently own have a 5volt remote output. For quick testing, you can use a jumper wire from the amp's positive onto the amp's remote. If it turns on, amp is good. Then the issue would be the LOC. From what is written, I assume LOC is providing remote voltage. If yes, try connecting LOC power input from a different source, like cigarette lighter. Test.

I am not sure , i had it installed, and has been working for almost 2 years. So it wasnt a case of not done right. My other option i was going to try connecting directly to remote in. How would i do that safely, and what exactly is jumper wire?

My other option i was going to try connecting directly to remote in. How would i do that safely, and what exactly is jumper wire?
Jumper wire is just a short wire that connects two points. How easy is it to access the LOC? You need to get to it for testing. Most active LOCs have power going into them, but not a remote in, just a remote out. You want to check the power in and out voltage.

Jumper wire is just a short wire that connects two points. How easy is it to access the LOC? You need to get to it for testing. Most active LOCs have power going into them, but not a remote in, just a remote out. You want to check the power in and out voltage.
I have access to the LOC. Ive tried checking voltage for in and out, i think at least. Both read same 2.5 to 3 volts approx. Same as the wire the comes from LOC to remote in connection on amp. Consistent voltage. However the LOC itself, the power light does not come on.

Im hoping it just the LOC and not the amp. So how would i go about actuivated the remote turn on for the amp, to see even if that work. Where would i connect that remote in wire to bypassing the LOC, to give it straight power.

Where would i connect that remote in wire to bypassing the LOC, to give it straight power.
It sounds like the power supply going into the LOC will be the issue. For direct amp power up, use a piece of wire to touch the 12v to the remote screws on the amp. First unscrew the remote wire. Radio does not have to be on for this. If amp works, then LOC is next. After disconnecting LOC power in, you can run a testing wire from LOC power in to any fuse that has power. If LOC turns on, you could wire to a fuse that powers up with the key.

It sounds like the power supply going into the LOC will be the issue. For direct amp power up, use a piece of wire to touch the 12v to the remote screws on the amp. First unscrew the remote wire. Radio does not have to be on for this. If amp works, then LOC is next. After disconnecting LOC power in, you can run a testing wire from LOC power in to any fuse that has power. If LOC turns on, you could wire to a fuse that powers up with the key.
So just to clarify, to test the amp, does main power and ground wire stay connected to amp, THEN run a seperate wire from the remote turn on of amp to positive lead on car battery? or did i misunderstand. Just dont want to fry something else. Then for LOC, can i run a wire directly into a fuse spot, or do i have to cut wires to gain access to a 12v source.

just to clarify,
Yes, power & ground to amp stay connected. Jumper will go from remote screw to positive screw of the amp. Only remote wire gets unscrewed.
Then for LOC, can i run a wire directly into a fuse spot, or do i have to cut wires to gain access to a 12v source.
If you find a fuse spot that makes it work, leave it there. As long as it is keyed. I would use the Radio fuse. You can use a fuse tap like below.
Screenshot_20210528-163417.png

Yes, power & ground to amp stay connected. Jumper will go from remote screw to positive screw of the amp. Only remote wire gets unscrewed.
If you find a fuse spot that makes it work, leave it there. As long as it is keyed. I would use the Radio fuse. You can use a fuse tap like below.
View attachment 29401
So aweosme news, i tested the amp with power directly to remote in, it worked.. Turns out its simply the LOC. So easy 30-40$ fix, ill swap that out and should be all set. Thank you everyone who responded and tried to help, greatly appreciated.

Before this, try connecting the LOC power to a different source. It may still be good and the power source is the issue.
I just went ahead and ordered a new LOC, but you may definitely be right. I just don't know enough past the LOC part other then the fuses, which i have already checked. If this doesnt work ill have to really dig into, but wouldnt know wich wires to even check. All i know is that wire gave ready 2.5 to 3 volts from LOC to remote in. Im hoping its just the LOC can do what it needs to go by giving 12 volts to turn on amp when car turns on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...