Limited space, best boom expectations

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mason7mvp

CarAudio.com Newbie

Wanna start off saying that I've tried to do all the research myself but got a headache so I came here to cheat.
So, site says its 1.3 cubes, I had a sundown sa12 classic in it, realized the speaker wire was too small for watts I should be running...changed wire size, threw pollyfill in it cause Google said it was a good idea...used a volt meter to adjust the gain and had the poor guy booming exactly how I wanted it....for about a week.
Now that I'm lookin for another sub what are the suggestions? I'm all for SQ but I do like the rattle the cup holders and make my nose itch from time to time
All feedback is welcome

What happened to the Sundown?

Sounds like someone threw a handful of rocks in the box with it.
Honestly it's my fault anyway, 1400watts didn't agree with it, my dumba$$ forgot which one I had and refreshed my memory lookin at the v2 and saw 1000rms and thought ah it'll handle it. That's when I added the poly and 12 gauge wire.

Subthump *****. I had a box from them for my '03 Explorer. Biggest waste of 150 dollars I ever spent. Wanted to keep it clean and not deal with a bigger box. Now that thing is only good for firewood if that.

I'm in the same boat, wanna keep it clean...and there are very limited options for my truck as it is. Any explanation as to why u say it's garbage though?

Horrible design, horrible product plain and simple, cheap materials and so on.

You are best contacting @Buck and having him design you a box for the subwoofers you choose and to work in the situation/space you have. If anyone can do it he can.

Main thing is, I'm going to stick with one of those box designs and wanna know if going up to a sub that can handle the power provided is going to be ok or if the box size is the issue and I just need to lower my expectations and turn the volume down regardless of the sub I put in them.

Telling you can he can design a box that will work in just about any situation. He has done it for years and hundreds if not a thousands of designs at this point. It is all he does.

Another question just for curiosity sake...that sub ran for months just fine with 16 gauge wire and no poly. Beat on it like a red headed step child, think the 12 gauge and poly had anything to do with it or just coincidence?

Nah just coincidence. I use 12 gauge minimum on all my subwoofer wiring unless I am running a lot more wattage. I have also tried polyfil idk how many times over the past 25 or so years & never heard a difference or improvement. Yet others have.

I was just thinkin maybe the 16 gauge might of been choking down the watts to the sub and keeping it closer to the 1k or so you hear everyone saying those Rev 3s can handle. Wasn't sure how much of a difference it would of made.

Idk if it did or not. That I really don't remember on how much wattage certain gauge wire can handle. Others here know a thousand times more on that then I do. I have always used at least 12 gauge when wiring up subwoofers going back to my first system I put in '92 and stayed with it till I graduated in '94 when I was in high school....Fuck I feel old now!

View attachment 27231

Wanna start off saying that I've tried to do all the research myself but got a headache so I came here to cheat.
So, site says its 1.3 cubes, I had a sundown sa12 classic in it, realized the speaker wire was too small for watts I should be running...changed wire size, threw pollyfill in it cause Google said it was a good idea...used a volt meter to adjust the gain and had the poor guy booming exactly how I wanted it....for about a week.
Now that I'm lookin for another sub what are the suggestions? I'm all for SQ but I do like the rattle the cup holders and make my nose itch from time to time
All feedback is welcome

4- 8's under your back seat is going to be your best option. A custom built box is a must. What vehicle is this anyway?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.