Lethal injection 12”

You're all good man, those are legit questions.

You can lengthen the port or shorten it to change tuning. How this change is done matters; if the port is made longer and the port is all internal, then you can lose airspace, which changes literally everything. So, say you made an aero port longer inside of a box, then you'd want to calculate everything that changes, all together at once

Changing the port area can greatly affect how a system plays. I use port area sizes to manipulate how the box plays, you can control impedance changes, somewhat, when you understand the relationship of port sizes, box net airspace, and port tuning. You can purposefully limit a sub's movement with combinations of previous mentioned factors, and that can really help with voltages, overall system stability and bandwidth. It's all box by box dependent. It's all custom to the user and their system.

Sometimes I adjust box sizes based off wanted tuning. Sometimes subs like a certain box size, regardless of tuning, to whatever extent. In short, yes, you can change the sound of any box by modifying the port. In larger bandpasses, such as walls and blow throughs, I try to leave or fundamentally integrate the option of potential port changes, especially in series 6th orders.

I've done ported boxes that have very long removable ports, so a 40-45 hz port could be put in for SPL. You literally just unbolt the port and pull out a daily skinnier port that's like 30" long or so, and drop in a port that's shorter with a huge port area, for SPL burping. If the layout and space allows, I can design enclosures with adjustable or replaceable ports, I do it somewhat regularly.

Here's a trunk box for a DC level 5 that has a removable port. This was a more advanced design for a competitor that I've know for a while:

Sorry if this is a thread jack <3

Just trying to explain. I think I see some stray lines in one of those pics. Shhhh don't tell anyone

Both of those ports take up different amounts of space, so each port is designed around the actual airspace the sub has in the box, based on which one is in there.

Hell yeah man! IA is a great company, I'm glad it all got worked out. Now I hope my box performs! LOL

I did that PVC box with 2x 4 inchers right? Center console-like box?
Correct! That’s the box. I’ve no doubt when it comes to your skills. Hopefully It will be very soon!

Yeah you were plenty patient in my book. Would have been nice to get a heads up about build time but it is what it is. I’ve always wondered if IA would remove themselves from SSA. Sundown and SSA had a fall out and Nick and Jacob are buddies.

From seeing actual pics of their subs, they look very well built. I’m normally more patient than I have been. Just anxious!

It seems to me, from my study of amplifiers, that IA may actually have some of the best amps on the market. Their amps seem to be incredible, from past studies and comparisons.

So, after nearly 12 weeks, my sub has arrived! I went home for lunch and as I was leaving to return to work, fedex truck pulled up. I took the box inside and opened it. Top was supported well but the bottom magnet had nothing to protect it. The bottom was sitting in the cardboard. I did not have time to test the coils or check the sub out. I just got a visual which looks to be intact but I will take pics of sub and packaging once I get off work.

When I ordered mine, the box looked like The Hulk played soccer with it. It was awful. I emailed them right away but once I opened it, it appeared fine and checked out. The best sub packaging I’ve ever had was DC. That thing was protected with wood framing and hard styrofoam.

When I ordered mine, the box looked like The Hulk played soccer with it. It was awful. I emailed them right away but once I opened it, it appeared fine and checked out. The best sub packaging I’ve ever had was DC. That thing was protected with wood framing and hard styrofoam.
My sub doesn’t look damaged. As long as the coils test fine then ok with it. Still think they could do a much better job with packaging.

Dude, what's that sub that used to come shipped in a wooden box? My buddy got one. Older style sub that was beefy that they literally built a box for to ship it to you. Like you had to take a hammer or crowbar to get the panels off to get the sub out of the shipping box.

My sub doesn’t look damaged. As long as the coils test fine then ok with it. Still think they could do a much better job with packaging.

Push down on the coil and make sure there's no rubbing. Motor shifting can be a hidden issue with the tighter coil gaps, the coils can rub or even get completely jammed up, being sandwiched somewhat in the motor.

As long as that sub is moving up and down and not rubbing, then you're fine. Just make sure you push straight down on the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...