Latest generation Alpine S-Series rated only down to 70 Hz. Are the specs wrong?

DavideBianchini

CarAudio.com Newbie
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the newest version of the Alpine S series. The specs say it is only rated down to 70 Hz, but I have heard one reviewer say that its has plenty base well below that. Can anyone verify that these indeed hit, or are these speaker only meant to be paired with subwoofers?

Here is the link: Alpine S-S65

Thank you,

Davide

It may have decent midbass but being honest, I would doubt it would really do well at 70 Hz. Some very comp sets have issues at 70 hz certainly lower so I would assume this would be more the case with this coax. If setting it up, I would start with an xover of 80hz and see how it actually does

The low frequency point should be considered along with the power rating. It is likely that crossed higher they will survive more power and they will certainly play lower but at lower power or in an enclosure.

I have not been at all impressed with Alpine S series in the past, if you can't spend up to type R I'd go try to audition some other brands.

I have the current type S components Midbass is OK but the tweeter is too bright and no way to turn it down when passive. I had the current Type R and they are not worth the extra cost they don’t sound that much different but you can turn down the tweeter level.I would look at a different brand alpine speakers are not what they used to be. They were better when they had the name Type in the brand now it is just Series S, R and X

I understand what you are saying in theory, that co-ax can't hit hard that low. But if you will entertain me, just watch this YouTube video of an open air test of these speakers. Even in open air, you can tell these speakers hit hard:

Let me know what you think,

Davide

I understand what you are saying in theory, that co-ax can't hit hard that low. But if you will entertain me, just watch this YouTube video of an open air test of these speakers. Even in open air, you can tell these speakers hit hard:

Let me know what you think,

Davide

They're probably very comparable to anything else at that price point and likely will play full range just fine off of head unit power and be more or less indestructible at around 50W each crossed over at 70hz.

I'd encourage you, if you really care, to just go to some shops who carry Alpine and some other brands and give them a listen in their shops and see for yourself if you like them.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the newest version of the Alpine S series. The specs say it is only rated down to 70 Hz, but I have heard one reviewer say that its has plenty base well below that. Can anyone verify that these indeed hit, or are these speaker only meant to be paired with subwoofers?

To have properly balanced, full range sound with less distortion you must use a dedicated subwoofer in a car. They are meant to be used with the bass cut by way of a high pass filter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...