kinda of stupid but what the hell

Participant count
  • Participants list

jbl_marshall21
10+ year member

important person
nebraska
alright my friend is selling his bandpass box, and i have 2 sony 12's (i know there not the best but i'm 14, i don't have a major cash flow) and if i just took off the plexiglass would they sound good. the cubic feet r what i need so i was just wondering. then i could try it with the plexi and if i don't like then i'll just leave it out. he is selling it cheap so i'm just wondering. need some expert advice

If you took off the plexi, don't you think you've screwed the pressure level in the bandpass? It would effectively just be a ported box, wouldn't it? Unless that's the dimensions you need...then just cut off the whole front assembly..viola.. but I seriously think you should get yourself a new box that's right for your subs.

If you're 14, then well, why not try making your own enclosure? I just made my first enclousure (sealed) and I had tremendous fun doing it. Don't need much, all you need is time, and I'm thainking you might be able to invest in some time after school? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Sealed, ported, Bandpass... whatever it is, do try~

I agree, i would either buy or build a new box for them. I'm not a big fan of bandpass boxes and i personally wouldnt have one which is why im building my own box when i figure out which subs im gettin.

You definitely don't wanna take off the plexiglass, they would sound shittier than they would with it on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol

Like they said, try building a sealed box...cheap...inexpensive...and doesn't cost a lot of money.

The reason you can't just take the plexiglass off the bandpass box is because it's keeping air pressure inside the box, and if you took it off you'd be losing that pressure. It really wouldn't even be a good ported box because there wouldn't be near enough room for the subs to sound good. The whole idea of a bandpass setup is to have it tuned to a certain frequency, and removing a part of the box would ruin the results.

thanks i just needed to get that clear. i don't want to do anything wrong. what kind of box do u guys recommend for a 93 jeep grand cherokee? cuz on crutchfield they recommend a sealed box. so would a ported box be better than the sealed?

It all depends on your ears, my friend...

i.e., what kind of music you listen to, want hard thumpin', or a smoother delivery, etc...

ith sealed boxes, there's a bit of room for errors, but as far as I know, ported boxes would have to be real solid or else you'd get lousy results... if a shop's gonna make it, then, well... you're gonna put it in a jeep, so space might not be an issue.

ported enclosures, I'm sure you'll know, tend to be bigger than sealed boxes, but it sure LOOKS better than a sealed if you can get it right with the ports...(of course, you could get plexi for sealed and stuff too)

If you're not careful, the ports might also introduce turbulence...a horrible noise to hear when the bass notes hit...

For DIY, try a sealed first... for shops, well, again, your preference in music...

Hey, I don't know if it might herlp, but I've just uploaded my on-going box project...have a look..

Let's just say that a box would at worst look like that... Making my first one taught me a whole lot of new things and I can't wait to get it installed in my car once the carpeting is done and my car's undercoating sound deadener has dried...

It might look shite, but there are no leaks, silicone inside and out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

well right now i have a sealed box, but i didn't build it to the specific cubic feet. it is suppose to be just 1 cubic feet pure chamber and i made mine 1.9 to every chamber. so total i have bout 3.8 cubic feet.

could i just put some ports in or do i need to build a whole other box? i'm not a genius when it comes to car audio sounds. i can't tell the difference between a good sub and a great sub so if the ports rn't tuned would i be able to tell? then if when if i port will i be able to tell a sound difference right away?

i doubt you can just add two holes and fit a tube just like that to get the results that you want...

people say they're not very fussy with sound...I say until they hear it, they don't know..and if you hear it, then you'll be craving for something better, believe me...

WIth the wrong dimensions, you'd get horrible sounds...might as well leave it solo-baric (i.e. free air)

YOu say you've got 1.9 Cu.Ft per cahmber..why not use that chamber and drop in both? That'll sound much better, don't you think? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by jbl_marshall21 r u saying that i should put both subs in one chamber? i thought having more cubic space would be better? hit me back
I'm saying that it's always good to follow manufacturer's recommended size..

yes, install two subs into the single 1.9Cu.Ft chamber to resemble mftr. specs...that SHOULD sound best. After all, they made it, they tested it, they know what they're talking about. It's the safest way to go~

Oh, and bigger box, better? Oh, that's gonna start a whole lot of discussions, but from my point of view, I think bigger doesn't necessarily mean better... you need to get a certain amount of pressure to get the sound right, hence all the sealed and ported talk, never mind the bandpass and the hertz.

Remeber, all this is what I think, and like you, my friend, I don't have much knowledge in car audio's techinicalities...so therefore, I always follow recommended sizes. It's worked out great for me so far

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i understand what ur staying. i don't know what i am going to do but it sounds good right now. so as the old saying goes i guess " if its not broke don't fix it" so i'll probaly just stay with what i got. thanks for answering all the questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.