kicker kx 400.1

tbirdsony
10+ year member

toronto
hey i have a kx 400.1 and 2 12inch overdrive subs. dvc 4 ohm i have the subs wired to a 4ohm mono load. the amp is not even 1/4 the up bass boost off and hz at about 60-80 and the bass and every thing on my deck is at -2 (can go from -10 to +10) and when i turn the volume to 30 out of 45 the amp goes in to protection mode. the amp never gets even a bit warm and the subs are not being over worked. i have checked my wiring and notting is shorting out i checked the load on the amp and it is 4.1ohms on my volt meter. i am getting 13.9 volts to the amp with the car on and 12.3 with the car off. also the amp does not seem as loud as it was last week even friends say it is not as loud. i am running 4 gauge if that helps. i cant understand why the amp goes in to protectection mode and why it is not as loud as before.

thanks alex

So you are getting full voltage to the amp? Gain settings are 1/4 the way up?

First, I would try to get the recommended 2 ohm load for max power, your not using the amp to it's full potential.

hey ummmmm i have 2 subs that are both dvc 4 ohm so i can either have a 4 ohm or 1 ohm load if i am not mistaken. and i think that i said that in the first post..... well it does not really matter i guess that amp ended up taking a crap last night and i was able to return it for crappy "in-store cash" as they call it.

thanks always tho

AJ

hey ummmmm i have 2 subs that are both dvc 4 ohm so i can either have a 4 ohm or 1 ohm load if i am not mistaken. and i think that i said that in the first post..... well it does not really matter i guess that amp ended up taking a crap last night and i was able to return it for crappy "in-store cash" as they call it.thanks always tho

AJ
I know what you said...my point was why buy audio products that do not work together? If and when you do, why gripe that the product does not perform like it should?

For max power, the amp ask for 2 ohm load, yet you feed it either a 4 or 1 ohm load....you say 4, I believe you, but hard to see thru this screen. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

So I would always 'match' the products, for maximum performance.

Yeah everyone I know who has a Kicker amp is pretty happy with it. I would definitely get a pair of subs down to 2 ohm on that thing cause that's a rather expensive amp to buy if you're only gonna get 200W RMS out of it (at 4 ohms).

Or try only 1 sub on that amp and see how long it takes for it to blow. It will be loud in the interim though. LOL

How was your wiring set up? Sounds like you may have loaded it at 1 ohm. The amp's good but not 1 ohm stable. It would likely go for a bit then go into protection.

Try to get a 2 channel amp if you wanna keep those subs.

oh PS...that thump amp you got now. bridged to 2 ohms. ehh...thump is ma audio's extreme budget line, i think you'll have even more probs with that than the kicker.

thanks man....what's up???? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
hey Tracy, good to see you reach on the net is growing, good to have you on here also //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.