JVC KD-X370BTS install in '98 Sunfire. Only one channel.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Calab

CarAudio.com Newbie
Recently I ordered a JVC KD-X370BTS stereo to install into my 1998 Pontiac Sunfire from Crutchfield.ca. The installation went smoothly, but after all that work I only get sound out of the right front channel. There is no audio out of the rears, or the front left channel. There was no radio in the car before I did the install, so I don't know if those channels were working before.

There is no amp or sub in this car. It's plain jane stock.

I know I built the wiring harness adapter correctly as I triple checked the wiring colors provided by JVC, the colors provided on the Metra (70-1858) adapter packaging and the colors provided by Crutchfield on their installation instructions. Everything lined up where it should have. The connections were made by soldering, which I checked carefully, and heat shrink tubing over the joints.

My first thought is that the harness may not be plugged in 100% or connections might be dirty on one end of the harness, so that what I think I will check first. Failing that, I need to find a way to try and drive the car speakers from another source... but I'm not sure what to use. Would a 1.5v AAA battery break a speaker if I connected it to one channels + and - speaker terminals on the harness?

Before I go tearing it apart I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting.

Double checked the wiring... Other than the car having an orange/black wire instead of an orange wire for the BAT connection, all looks good:

Metra Car
------------ -------------
. White/Black - A - LF- - Light Grey
. White - B - LF+ - Tan
. Grey/Black - C - RF- - Dark Green
. Grey - D - RF+ - Light Green
. Black - E - GND - Black
. Orange - F - Dim - Brown
. N/A - G - Ill - Grey
. Blue - H - Ant - N/A
. Red - I - Acc - Yellow
. Yellow - J - Bat - Orange/Black(1)
.Purple/Black - K - RR- - Light Blue
. Purple - L - RR+ - Dark Blue
. Green/Black - M - LR- - Yellow
. Green - N - LR+ - Brown.
(1) - Instructions show ORANGE not ORANGE/BLACK that's in car

One must also consider that the other 3 speakers are either not there or are blown or not connected to anything. I would visually verify that the other speakers are there, remove them if possible and make sure they are not blow. If all that checks out then work your way back to the harness and radio. Run your own speaker wires if all else fails.

Well... I went out with a battery. The only speaker that makes any noise when tested from the radio connector is the working one - Right Front. That means the wiring is bad or the speakers are shot.

I know that the rear speakers are there as I can see them. I'm going to try and battery test them directly as my next step.

It seems that the speakers are blown... I tried connecting a battery directly to the rear speakers and heard nothing. Of course it was awkward reaching in there so I might have missed the connection completely... Next step is to remove a speaker and test it, just in case there is a short in the wiring to ground.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the rear speakers, then the drivers door speaker.

It seems that the speakers are blown... I tried connecting a battery directly to the rear speakers and heard nothing. Of course it was awkward reaching in there so I might have missed the connection completely... Next step is to remove a speaker and test it, just in case there is a short in the wiring to ground.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the rear speakers, then the drivers door speaker.
I am not sure myself... Youtube has many videos though and may show you how to remove them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.